1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First deer

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Branden, Apr 4, 2015.

1. Dave Byrd

Dave Byrd Active Member

Looking through Second 2 Nature I noticed several with 13" - 14" neck sizes.

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Brian, blowing your own horn is silly and conceited. If I was fool enough to enter such a childish dare, you'd have one helluva time proving that such a small deer mount wasn't "anatomically correct". No two deer ever look alike and your reference couldn't withstand my reference across a room. Go puff your chest up to someone who'll be impressed. I never figured I needed a tape measure to decide who was a bigger prick.

3. 1fish2fish

1fish2fish Well-Known Member

Clearly there are some small forms out there that should work for Branden; I don't think George gave his advice with that specific knowledge. After all, Branden had stated he couldn't find a form that would fit, and asked for subsequent options. The option of, well.....find a form that fits, is counterintuitive to what was specifically asked. Luckily, some folks who have worked on small deer were able to provide additional resources from experience that precluded a need for more "complex" solutions, such as the one George offered. You must know that there isn't always a form for every situation, which was the premise of George's answer. I noted your criticism of George's response, but haven't seen any useful suggestion for Branden provided by you, Brian. Maybe we can fix that and everyone can benefit.

Specifically, Brian R., what would your process be for altering a doe form in this scenario and what would be the anatomical pitfalls that make this so tricky? Clearly, cutting a portion of the manakin with a saw, in the place of the skull cap....the proper place......,trenching in a wood block, foaming it in place with 2part urethane, attaching the antler set, and shaping over it have been identified. Now that doesn't seem like something many high schoolers couldn't accomplish with direction. From there, what is needed to get this doe to look like the small buck it was?

Best, Scott

4. Brian Reinertson

Brian Reinertson Well-Known Member

Iowa
    All bark and no bite as usual. Then the name calling begins. If one can suggest such advice, one should be able to prove how easy it is to pull off. You are setting up this person for failure with your advice and I stand by that. Most "taxidermists" can't even make a deer mount look right when everything fits perfectly, now your telling a person who has never even mounted a deer to chop it all up, put it back together right, then just simply mount the deer. No way Jose

5. George,you will always be one of my favorite taxidermist, i can only imagine what i could learn in one day,Scott, your right up there as well, but lets get back to Branden. I'm going to assume this is your personal deer. If you've done your home work,gotten yourself good reference photos of the pose you want,go for it,just get it mounted up.
    I promise you,like 95% of the rest of us on here,you well do a remount of some sort on it some day after you've honed your skills. There are lots of vendors out there with forms that will come close,you may have to do Little sanding and shaving to get it to fit right. remember,this is your first,the one you will make all your mistakes on.
    you just have to dig in and go for it.

Best of luck
    Dave

6. J Cook

J Cook Cook Taxidermy

I think we need some more info. He said it was fleshed, salted, and a tanning oil aplied. Was it pickled or the salt washed out and rinsed good before the tanning oil was applied. I think we need to know some of these things. If there is salt still in the cape it may still be trying to dry it out and not let it streach properly.

7. Branden

Branden Member

I fleshed it salted it for a day, washed it out a few times dryed it out with a towel applied tanning oil over night then rinsed it out again

8. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

Sounds like you haven't shaved it. Also sounds like you skipped the pickle stage.

9. George

Brian, in case you forgot, this is the BEGINNERS category. Since you're obviously over qualified, I'd suggest you go over to where the guys in big boy pants hang out. I don't recall calling you names. I just posted the qualifications and you admitted to having them. I could give a damming if you like me or my advice. Don't read it.

Some of you ate now on a fishing expedition. Just answer the initial question. Branden' s "tanning oil" could be a paint on tan. If he was using DP, it's his choice and if he decides to go that path, so be it. He's a BEGINNER.

10. Brian Reinertson

Brian Reinertson Well-Known Member

Iowa
    I guess "prick" isn't name calling.. As you said, he is a beginner. So I still say wedging and altering a head and installing an antler plate on a doe form isn't for beginners with zero experience..

No hard feelings on my end, I've been called worse. I love ya George even if you don't like me.

11. George

I didn't call you a prick. I said I didn't need a ruler to see who was the bigger one. I can't help if you have to measure. Not my problem. And as I said, that's YOUR opinion on altering a doe head. Every one of us, at some point has to alter a form as something we've never done before. I just didn't judge Branden as being that dumb. If you think lopping off a wedge to mount a set of antlers is that problematic, what do you think about real alterations where poses are changed and measurements are expanded? This ain't rocket science. OH, and don't worry, I never had you on my Christmas card list to begin with.

12. Branden

Branden Member

No I didn't pickle it new nothing about that . Just thought I had to salt it then the tanning oil.. That's all it stayed had to be done.. Hopefully it's rite .. Worst part about being a beginner

13. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

You can get some good instructions and a tanning kit and re tan it. This deer will not come out great because no one's first deer does. So if you go the doe route, it won't matter because it won't come out really great anyway. If you go the doe head route you will learn some stuff that a lot of beginners won't learn for more than a year. I say go for it. My first few years, I bought every form at least two sizes bigger or smaller and in the opposite turn and/or pose than I wanted to mount it in. I did this so I would learn how to make it work no matter how off it was. When your a beginner, you can afford to make mistakes.

14. boarhunter67

If you get Rick Carter's Whitetail A to Z it will cover the basics. You would be saving a lot of time and money by at least learning the basic steps first.

15. Papamac

Papamac New Member

Brandon, what are you using for your Tanning? Knowing the brand your using might help these folks figure out the proper steps to take. I recently used a Krowtan on a bobcat and all I had to do was rough flesh and put in the solution for 3 days Then Nuetralized. When I did my Deer, I rough fleshed, Salted over night then Pickled for 2 days then Fleshed it more, put it back in for another day, Nuetralized it, then put the tanning oil on. I am new to this too, Get the Rick Carter video if you can, if not watch alot of the Utube video's they will at least get you in the ballpark. Most of all, Go for it and have fun.

16. Branden

Branden Member

I used the reinhart tanning oil it said just to flesh salt then the oil.. Just waiting on my manican to come in.. I've done several ducks this will be my first deer.. I used dry preservative on the ducks what's the difference with deer

17. boarhunter67

Thin it out a lot, especially around the eyes, lips, and nose.

18. George

Branden, if you're using John Rinehart's tanning solution (JRTS) you've used everything necessary before mounting your animal. I used it for 20 years before they started messing with the recipe, but if you followed the directions, you're fine. It should have plenty of stretch. You will need to wash it with warm water and soap before you mount it, but you should be fine.

19. Branden

Branden Member

Thanks everyone I'll post pics when ever I get done