1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

$550 and 2yrs

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by litefeather, Apr 5, 2015.

1. litefeather

litefeather New Member

If this guy can get $550 and take 2yrs to mount this quality of deer I can to! Really its a ladies first buck picked up at another taxidermist and dropped off at my place in same day. They said they weren't happy with it so he worked on it more to improve it. They returned to get this today. He the taxidermist said he saw nothing wrong with it. They dropped it off at my place for a complete remount. The guy claimed he's getting out of the business and this is the first complaint he's had in 20yrs. I've seen some of his work in the past and it wasn't this bad.

[​IMG]

2. litefeather

litefeather New Member

[​IMG]

3. litefeather

litefeather New Member

[​IMG]

4. litefeather

litefeather New Member

[​IMG]

5. litefeather

litefeather New Member

[​IMG]

6. tomdes

tomdes Me my dear and Fall BAZZ!!!

Yup, it has many issues, good luck with the remount...

Tom

7. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Most of us have seen a helluva lot worse.

8. Looks like something I would mount up....lol....NOT!!! If you don't mind me asking from what county does that taxidermist reside, you can PM it to me if you wish!!

9. mimes

mimes New Member

I agree with George. Not the worst, but for 550 you would expect a better nose/lip.

10. So how much will you charge to remount ?

11. litefeather

litefeather New Member

You would think for $550 and for someone who brags to be a professional it might be a little better. I guess he is at selling. I have taken in my fair share of worse mounts also but not by a guy charging this amount.

12. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

Not the best, but as has been stated by many, it's not the worst. The price is low for this area so I can't really judge by that. There's someone in my area who charges a lot more for a lot worse and he's very busy so a lot of people don't seem to be able to distinguish good from blah.

13. Brian W

Brian W Active Member

Must be some rack or memory to want to get it mounted twice I guess......

14. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

AMEN!

15. I had one brought in last week, The guy said it had fallen off the wall a broke some tines and wanted them fixed. When he showed up with the mount and told me he had just picked the mount up a week ago from a guy south of me , I could not believe what a pos it was and told him take it to back where he got it mounted. I don't want my name connected to that thing. It was worse than the one your remounting by far.

16. litefeather

litefeather New Member

Good news is I was able to salvage cape, eyes and liners. Also happened to have a unused form to fit as the original toast. This deer was a ladies first buck and the officer has become a good friend over the year. I just got it mounted last night.

17. litefeather

litefeather New Member

Good news is I was able to salvage cape, eyes and liners. Also happened to have a unused form to fit as the original toast. This deer was a ladies first buck and the officer has become a good friend over the year. I just got it mounted last night.

18. litefeather

litefeather New Member

This was skull cap cut. Was also covered in wax paper (?) Maybe someone knows what that was for. Clay was base around it.

[​IMG]

19. juli

juli Active Member

You hit the nail on the head with those words right there. The average 'joe' will not be able to distinguish good from blah - let alone the minute differences between good and very good, or very good and excellent.

The trained eye sees all the parts that make the whole. The untrained eye sees only the 'whole' - and usually that is the antlers. LOL

20. litefeather

litefeather New Member

I am starting to see more people picking mounts apart. Its our job to show the differences. I was talking to a guy last year about drumming, eye set and etc. About an hour later I get a knock at the door from the guy with a deer he wants remounted. After looking and inspecting his deer about what we said it ate at him. I've taken in 7 remounts over the last year. Two I had just repainted for $75 each. Two weeks later customer ask if I can get two capes and mount. I like those guys.