1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

nictitating membrane

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by bgowan, Apr 6, 2015.

1. bgowan

bgowan New Member

I have been wanting to use a nictitating membrane on my whitetails can anyone give me any tips on how to use them or where to go to get some info on how to use them. Thankyou all for reading this and for any and all help

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Do an search on them, we have discussed them plenty in the past. You can use artificial, real or even just paint.

3. bgowan

bgowan New Member

Do u know what forum to look in

4. josh s.

josh s. Active Member

Taxidermy.net forum has this in the archives :)

5. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    beginners and deer and gamehead

6. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    I create them using black Apoxie Sculpt. It takes a very little bit, and with some practice and care, you can produce a very convincing detail! ;)

Apoxie Sculpt ...
    [​IMG]

Mix thoroughly ...
    [​IMG]

The corner ready to receive the epoxy ...
    [​IMG]

Apply with a modeling tool ...
    [​IMG]

Press against glass eye and further shape ...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I use a sharp Ex-Acto Knife to trim and shape the epoxy ...
    [​IMG]

This reduces it to a more natural shape and size ...
    [​IMG]

Using various artists brushes, dipped in rubbing alcohol, further fine tunes the shape ...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have some Deer from this past season that I will try using natural, dried Nictitating Membranes on. I will first coat them with a layer or two of Mod-Podge to build them up a bit before painting. This will eliminate the dried out appearance. ;)

Good luck to you!

7. Sweet! Thanks for sharing John!

8. J Cook

J Cook Cook Taxidermy

I have been doing the same as John for years, but I use apoxie clay and then paint them.

9. fullboar

fullboar Member

you can take and cut triangle piece out of a 35 mm film negative slid it in between glass eye and skin before you apoxie your eyes this is how some do in compatition.

10. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

I cut out and use the real ones. I put a drop of Liquid Tan on them and let them dry. Drop them in after deer is mounted.

11. I recently read an article where a guy used white epoxie mixed in some red flocking and applied then painted with black.