1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Air compressor size and in line filters?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by dwl, Apr 6, 2015.

1. dwl

dwl New Member

I was wondering what size of air compressor would be good for fish taxidermy and what type of filters I need to put on my air compressor for airbrush painting for fish. I had a 20 gallon compressor but some low life stole it when it was in storage. Thanks for your help

2. Sikk

Sikk Member

depends on your situation. if your using it at your paint station with only an air brush, any small compressor works, even the bench top tankless units. then you may want to focus on how much noise they produce. If you have an area where the compressor can be stored away from your work area and you can run air lines into your painting area, then a larger unit may be more versatile, especially if you use it for multiple purposes. Where air flow and storage can be important are glossing large fish with a touch up gun, any air tools like grinders, drills that require more flow and have high air usage. also look into moisture collectors/ filters to clean air before your air brush stations well as a regulator for pressure control. paul

3. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

About 3 months ago I got the Badger Renegade tankless compressor. It is nearly silent and I love it. However to run my touch up gun I e use my $39.95 Harbor Freight. I only fire the big boy up for air tools these days.

4. SnipeCreek

SnipeCreek New Member

I picked up a California air tools #6310. Its a 6 gallon compressor with a 1hp motor. My workshop is in my basement and the compressor is so quite I can have a normal conversation over it, and it hasn't even woken up my 2 year old when shes been asleep in the room above my workshop. Its portable enough that I have used it to fill the truck and boat trailer tires, as well other small household chores. I also liked the fact that it comes with a moisture trap, that has prevented any moisture issues while airbrushing. It has worked great for me and, in refreshing my memory on the specs, its on sale on one of the big box stores website for $159.00. Would highly recommend this unit.

5. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Speaking of compressors, has anybody ever tried the Whisper Airs? I'm in the process of trying to decide if I want to go with the Silent Aire or Whisper Air. I believe the latter is a relatively new brand, but the W.A. 3000 has some great specs and it looks like a Silent Aire in disguise! About a $100-$150 bucks more for the Whisper Air. Anybody?

6. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I'm still using a the same craftsman upright compressor after 20 years. Would love to replace it with a silent air or similar compressor but have other priorties right now. I still feel irritated when it kicks in due to its loudness. Even locked it in the bathroom in my shop and ran the airline through the wall and it's still too loud!

Never used an inline filter in my shop. But my house is quite dry in the colder months and I have AC in the warmer months with my geothermal unit.

7. torka

torka Member

Keep in mind that an oil-less compressor is MUCH louder than an oil lubricated one. Have several of each from my years as a builder. I am sure the same holds true for the little artist compressors also.