1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Blowing birds dry

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by R.J. Meyer II, Apr 7, 2015.

1. R.J. Meyer II

R.J. Meyer II Member

Hi all, I used to have a tumbler and gassed the birds and tumbled them. I have gone to just washing and blow drying. I do a lot of birds I am currently using a wet dry vac but don't get the airflow I need. I have a few bird Taxidermist friends who use a master blaster and swear by it. They have the no heat model as they live in warm climates and dry outside. I am inside a temperature controlled shop and am thinking heat would be a good option. What suggestions do you have to guide me if any.

2. txoutdoors

txoutdoors Active Member

You will like it. I use a Metro Air Force Commander. It has a little heat, but not enough to worry about. Good velocity and really fluffs up the down feathers. Add a little fabric softener to your wash and between the pet dryer and fabric softener you will get a lot more fluff to your birds. Go for it! Get the heat option.

3. mimes

mimes New Member

I like the heat option.

4. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

I've got a pet dryer. I use it for the initial dry. Really fluff the down. I have found that even on low it's too much for the primaries and longer feathers. So after I get the down fluffed, I swap back to the mini shop vac or hairdryer to finish off.

5. Get the variable speed dryer. I've dried everything from quail & teal to swans with mine.

6. R.J. Meyer II

R.J. Meyer II Member

Ordered a metro air force commander from foster and smith pet supply.....................$211.00 delivered. That's the one Dave Luke recommended also. Thanks

7. full fan

full fan New Member

I would be at a stop without mine. I too dry from teal to turkeys with it.

8. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

I also use just a common hair dryer....I've been washing and blowing every size bird from songbirds on up for over 40 years and the blow dryer has always worked great for me

9. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

your vac will work fine but you need to restrict air flow at nozzle end....have been using one for 20 years now that was a shop vac combo with removable blower for leaf blowing......just necked down the 1-1/2 inch hose to a 3/8 hole and it blows fine.....btw...NO heat when blowing birds...can cause all kinds of issues

10. AZ~Rich

AZ~Rich " Africa" never fails to satisfy

You might want to consider finding one of those small blowers that are found in those yard inflatables you see around at Xmas time. I salvaged one of these for free and it works very nicely for blow drying birds. Mine runs at 3,000 rpm and blows a focused stream of ambient air, plus it'is small and quiet. You can easily secure one to a board or stand. They normally come set up with a power cord and plug for 115V. You can also purchase these replacement blowers at yardinflatables.com or Ebay, etc. R.

11. AZ~Rich

You might want to consider finding one of those small blowers that are found in those yard inflatables you see around at Xmas time. I salvaged one of these for free and it works very nicely for blow drying birds. Mine runs at 3,000 rpm and blows a focused stream of ambient air, plus it'is small and quiet. You can easily secure one to a board or stand. They normally come set up with a power cord and plug for 115V. You can also purchase these replacement blowers at yardinflatables.com or Ebay, etc. R.

12. AZ~Rich

this is what I am talking about. Sorry for the double post.

Attached Files:

13. byrdman

wacky-waving-inflatable -arm flailing -tube man........you should still "tumble" in a box or bin of sawdust or cob grit before blowing.......will cut down on blowing time and keep skin more moist

14. JerseyJays

JerseyJays Well-Known Member

Really? Like what?
    I blow dry with hot hair dryer all the time... I keep it moving and touch the feathers with the tip of the dryer.. *I do this only for a few mins after tumbling to fluff the down feathers a little and blow the grit out of them... but i trust your input more than my own cause I've seen your work. I would like to know more.
    thanks

15. byrdman

skin dries out too fast you want feathers dry but skin damp also some feathets can curl woth too much heat also the more heat you are making your hands sweat onto the feathets and down I keep one hand inside bird and blow with the other never touching feathers until totally dry