1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What's your thoughts on this buck?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Redfisher, Apr 9, 2015.

1. Redfisher

Redfisher New Member

When he was brought in I didn't realize his left eye was gone, only after caping him out I freaked out and called the customer back to let him know that his deer was missing an eye. Sent him pics and all. His response was fix it. Well ok, got the hide back from tanner, so I'm about to mount this deer and it looks like the eye opening is the size of a dime. Oh crap!! What now? How would u proceed? I'm going to cut and pray, hopefully it'll all come together. Lol. Check this guy out.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Check out his eye orbits. His left orbit started growing bone around it I believe to further protect his left side?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This buck was mature, over 7yrs or older, but I wonder if he lost his eye at an early age? Maybe that's why his left antlers grew that way to protect his left side? Don't know, just thought it was pretty cool. Roman nose, deep forehead area, and missing an eye. Anyways, keep the pics coming guys, this site is slowly dying away, not much gets posted anymore.

2. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

Post a picture of the eye hole after tanning. It might be possible to open it up a little more, but it would depend on how it's closed--if it's just grown together or if it developed that way.

3. Redfisher

Redfisher New Member

K

4. Redfisher

Redfisher New Member

Left side
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Right
    [​IMG]
    It does have some stretch to it, but I don't believe it'll be enough to have an alert eye, ? Hoping it comes out ok.

5. Redfisher

Redfisher New Member

Left side
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Right
    [​IMG]
    It does have some stretch to it, but I don't believe it'll be enough to have an alert eye, ? Hoping it comes out ok.

6. Redfisher

Redfisher New Member

Double post? Oops

7. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

it should come out fine, don't worry about it...thin it down and it will stretch out

8. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    Talk the client to a pedestal mount and have him rubbing ip on a tree limb with that eye slightly closed if you can't get it to look alert. Just a thought.

9. Nice coins! Give you 35 cents for them. ;D

10. JerseyJays

JerseyJays Well-Known Member

Shove a pair of ear openers in there and stretch the pissing out of it lol

11. Redfisher

Redfisher New Member

Ok, here goes! Just gettin around to mounting him, I'm gonna stretch the heck out of it!! I'll post a pic when tucking around the eye.

12. scottdawg

scottdawg Member

I have done several just like that yes they suck but you have to fight thru it. I make a cut on the front corner of the eye which will let you open the eye up then us Apoxie Sculpt to finish eye then paint as normal. I am sure there are many way to do them but this works for me. Good luck and keep us posted.

13. I don't do taxidermy but I do repair/remodel a lot of scars on living critters. This looks like the eye was scarred shut some (mostly on the front corner), but little if any tissue missing. Lashes etc... all seem to be there. I think scottdawg's advise is dead on. If you're any good with Apoxie Sculpt or some such, he should turn out just fine.

14. Redfisher

Redfisher New Member

Thanks for all the advise. I stretched it out and I believe it should be ok. I probably should have cut the front corner out for a proper fit, but I decided to mount on a hard left turn, which will hide his left eye some. Here he is.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Redfisher

Redfisher New Member

A lot of tweaking to do still but I think he'll dry ok.

16. scottdawg

scottdawg Member

The eye looks real good.

17. Looks great!