1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

3rd Bird Critique Please (Water Scene added.. Finally complete!)

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by smitty0810, Apr 10, 2015.

1. smitty0810

smitty0810 Member

I apologize if this should be in the Beginner taxidermy section, if so someone please tell me so I don't post these here again.

Anyway, on my 3rd bird. Just looking for some critiques ..

Issues I had: Lost feathers in the face trying to get the skin to fit around the head. Sewing up the body (mostly towards the finishing stitches)
    Need to work on: Getting eyelids better, pretty much non existent in close detail on this one. Injecting feet evenly. Sewing up the body.
    Improved from last bird: Injecting feet, these feet were much more friendly than my first 2 but still needs work. neck size (i think)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Apparently from looking at the photos I need to adjust some feathers on the back down at the tail... even though I done it 10 times. Sometimes I just gotta learn to leave it alone cause I know it looked better than that previously. Same thing with one of the feathers on the left wing secondaries. Need to pull one to the left just just a tad.

2. maj1969

maj1969 New Member

MO
    Re: 3rd Bird Critique Please

I wish my 3rd bird would have looked that good. Great job

3. alan webfoot

alan webfoot New Member

Incredibly smooth nice grooming the ONLY thing I that really shows is the tertials on the left wing are a wee bit lower .Sure 2 or 3 feathers on the rump .BUT look at pictures of real birds in flight,, anything but well groomed a lot of the time. Posting up first second third birds up to 10,000nd are A OK on here. You will go far if you can take advice from the award winners on here ,uhh that wouldn't be me . this widgeon looks much better than some I've seen on taxidermy sites advertising their work ,I'll include mine in that. just study some flight patterns now with good reference,,are you a member of DU or Delta ? these magazines have loads of great pictures to help out anyone. good paint on bill,can you sculpt the eyelids/?Even now if it's a fresh mount it can be done .A little harder to do but possible.groom those lids wait till dry then roll out some very thin lines of sculpall and place them on. just use black 2 part epoxy.

4. MallardsFowlLife

MallardsFowlLife Well-Known Member

Looks great, especially for your 3rd.

5. smitty0810

smitty0810 Member

DU member and yea good reference in there, been saving magazines for that very reason. And I hadn't thought about adding lids after the fact. I have apoxie sculpt that I am sure would get the job done.

And as for the tertials.. they are definitely lower on the left wing. I just figured thats the way the feathers were, I suppose I should check reference on that one. Any reason why that might have happened?

Thanks for the critiques keep em coming!

6. finazducks

finazducks EJ is not the only one to have two Wasco Awards

Nice job Smitty

7. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

overall it is a nice clean mount.....I'm not a fan of the pose but the mount itself came out very nice.

8. smitty0810

smitty0810 Member

Thanks again for the compliments guys! I went with this pose so I could have the option of just mounting him to the wall with driftwood - or - give myself the option of doing a water scene like the one in the link below. It would still have to be on some driftwood and hang on the wall so I would use driftwood with roots and add a plexiglass and water scene at the bottom, and obviously splashing from liftoff with the bird a few inches over the water. http://www.ackertaxidermy.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/WoodDuckSplash_07.346140304_large.jpg

9. Re: 3rd Bird Critique Please

Your's looks much better than the one in the link.

10. Ted

Ted Member

It looks better than some of my work and I've been doing birds for 40 yrs. To fix the tertials, find the point where the front of the wing and the scapulars intersect with the body. Take a pin and stick that point to the front of the form. The pins should be at the same place on each side.

11. smitty0810

smitty0810 Member

I am guessing you are referring to the flight webs. I did pin them.
    Although apparently not in the exact same place..

12. finazducks

Sometimes the Tertials on one side are just longer. That doesn't appear to be the case here> One thing to be aware of is the eye sockets. They aren't always accurate. measure distance from the edge of the bill to the center of the pupil and if the head you are using isn't the same change it. When you glue the skin the eye lids should fall right over the eye. That head may not be accurate. Wigeon are one bird that has a long distance from the bill to the eye so it is more critical that you measure. Did you really learn from My Video?

13. smitty0810

smitty0810 Member

I cant tell if thats a loaded question or not but regardlless yea your video of the flying puddle duck has been a tremendous help to me and has cut the learning curve significantly.

14. finazducks

Yes, shamelessly loaded question. lol

15. smitty0810

smitty0810 Member

Well I am glad to see you are laughing about it. I thought I was receiving a scolding for not paying attention during your video, like you had discussed all of that in it. And you probably did. But I was taking notes the entire time I swear! :eek:

16. finazducks

No scolding. You have no idea how good your birds are for your first ones. I'm proud. I agreed to do those videos just for that reason. To help people

17. alan webfoot

alan webfoot New Member

the tertials could have slid down over the shoulder area just a slight bit while sewing.

18. smitty0810

smitty0810 Member

Well I really do appreciate that. I am certainly glad you decided to do them, otherwise I doubt I would have gotten started in the art. Taxidermy is somewhat intimidating to start. Not knowing what you will need, how long it takes, tools, chemicals, all that, even just knowing where to get all that stuff. I wouldn't really call any of it common knowledge. For a beginner that was extremely helpful to have a part in the DVD specifically on that. I just started buying all the stuff you showed and used in the video. Even got the exact same scalpel and scissors haha.

19. Re: 3rd Bird Critique Please

Hi, whilst trawling through threads on the forum, looking at this post I read mention of a DVD made by member 'Finazducks' could someone tell me the title of this DVD & is it available in Europe?

Thanks, Steve.

20. duxrus

duxrus Active Member

Not sure why people always seem to feel the need to add "for your 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc...". Your birds are amazingly done well for a beginner because many people never get to your level after years of trying. You are waaaaaay above the learning curve and are turning out better looking work than a lot of mounts you see being posted here. Keep the pictures coming to inspire others.