1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How can I sharpen my own fleshing blades

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Cdwildcat, Apr 10, 2015.

1. I have a Van Dyes pro series flesher. I would like to learn how to sharpen the blade. I have purchased 4 new blades in the last 6 months. I have tuned them with my tuning steels but still they only last about 5 or 6 tunings then I can't keep an edge on them. Can somebody tell me how to sharpen them myself? Thank you in advance.

2. It's me again. Maybe I am tuning these blades wrong. Maybe someone can explain to me the correct way to tune these blades. Thanks.

3. Nick7

Nick7 New Member

Check out youtube. Some guys made a bunch of vides https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0hSoVr6oHfhnP0dITOGZIQ

4. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

As long as there is an angle you should be able to sharpen them 0r tune them with the steels with very little pressure. Something is wrong over there.

5. Thank you Nick and Paul for your replies. I'll check out the u tube and check the angle. If there is anyone else with a little input, I would really appreciate it.

6. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Lifting up on the edge too much will get the blade to cut like a major hide ripper. The top steel is to lower the cutting angle. Keep working the lip up until you start to cut to much or make big holes, it doesn't take much. Then work the top steel down on the lip to lower the edge until your satisfied with the amount that's being shaved off. Work the back of the cape that's off the form as a practice point.

7. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

And to answer your initial question: You can't. To sharpen a blade, the "curl" is ground off and the edge sharpened. Then with an induction coil, the edge of the blade is super heated and a tool bends that edge over to give you that 90 degree cut. Just send you blades out and have them done professionally. I occasionally dress mine with a carborundum stone. You can get them at the hardware store or use a soft Arkansas stone. Just GENTLY run it under the edge and then across the top flat. Then use your tuning steels. Back when I was doing a lot of work, I'd get a year out of a blade by dressing it and tuning it.

8. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

You are possibly applying too much pressure to the steels. I let the top steel ride on its own weight, applying no downward pressure. Total time that the steels are in contact with the blade is only a second or two at each tuning. I've been using the same blade for a couple of years now, and I shave roughly a hundred capes annually.

9. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

I occasionally use a little 250 wet sand paper dry on the edge, but it sounds like your issue is with tuning.