1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Transplanting hair

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Primetines, Apr 13, 2015.

1. Primetines

Primetines New Member

Does anyone have any advice on transplanting hair. Say if hair from deer ears or face is thin or has patchy areas that are thinner.
    Or can something be used to blend or cover it up some?
    Is there anything that can be done?

2. I've used flocking on the back of the ears. It works ok. Can be hard to match the color.

3. MallardsFowlLife

MallardsFowlLife Well-Known Member

For small areas with short hair that is patchy or missing, I use apoxie sculpt or magic sculpt and fill in the areas then use a brass brush to give the texture of hair and then paint to match.

4. JerseyJays

JerseyJays Well-Known Member

For longer hair I have used modge podge... just grab a thin layer of haor, cut it the length needed, do not readjust it.. just Cary straight to the repair spot and glue it in starting from the rear or bottom of the area moving uo and foward as you implant. Just don't brush it until the next day.

If it's really long hair you can use hot glue

5. I do similar to jersey Jay , except I use one minute loctite epoxy. I want something that cures fast so there is no chance of running, and making a mess.
    Paint it on thick with a small artist brush and start putting in the hair . Working from rear to front.
    [​IMG]

If its a small area I use zap a gap.

6. jigginjim

jigginjim Active Member

I have had to do this in small areas (size of a quarter), I used a piece of extra hide from that same deer. A) match up hair colors, B) cut it out the bald piece make template of bald skin. C) Cut the patch the same or very small amount larger than piece remove. D) Tape hair back around area, then hot glue in new piece. I also press insect pins in corners of patch to hold down corners. Don't pins leave them in. E) Brush hair into place gently. I f done correctly you will not see any difference in hair area.

7. JerseyJays

JerseyJays Well-Known Member

I've done that as well, using pro 1 and brads to hold the edges together

8. Rick Carter

Rick Carter Administrator

find a spare with similar fur. Place clear tape over a section. Use a razor blade to cut the hair away from the skin. spray the underside of the replacement patch with glue. spray the bald spot with glue. Rub the patch into the glue. remove the tape and comb the hair gently into place.

9. jbogacki76

jbogacki76 New Member

Rick, what glue do you use? Also do you wait till the glue drys before removing the tape?

I need to do a patch on the short Y on the back of a cape that slipped. First time doing it so I want to make sure im doing this right.

10. Rick Carter

Rick Carter Administrator

Elmers spray adhesive. Both sides dry. It's like contact cement.