1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

A Mount for Dad

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by jwillard, Apr 13, 2015.

1. I thought I’d share this special mount with you all. Last November my dad at age 84 shot his biggest deer. He hadn’t hunted for the last 3 years and thought he was done for good, but I kept after him. He doesn’t drive any distance anymore and lives over 200 miles away. I told him that I will come pick him up and take him home if we could just have one more hunt together. He said he didn’t want to burden me with that but I finally was able to convince him.

I own 36 acres in SE Minnesota with 5x8 insulated blind with a heater in it or otherwise he would have stayed home with Ma. On morning number five the top buck in the photo came by at just over a 100 yards and Dad did the rest. He was there when I shot my first deer and now I was there for what was probably his last.

The bottom buck in the photo was taken in 1963 and was his best for 51 years. It needed to be remounted and I thought they would look nice together. We delivered them this weekend. He was a very happy man and wanted to know how much he owed me. I just smiled and told him he paid for them a long time ago taking me on all those hunting and fishing trips. He’s the reason I’m a taxidermist. He said thank you. The black & white photo is me at 3 years old petting the deer from 1963 (bottom buck in the mount). The bottom buck is on a Meder head up and the top buck is on a Meder semi sneak.

Attached Files:

2. more

Attached Files:

3. more

Attached Files:

4. noid

noid Member

awesome mount and better story

5. tem

tem Well-Known Member

that's awesome. brings back those good old days with dad in the field.

6. Great mounts and cool story.The racks even look similar which is cool.

7. rbear

rbear Well-Known Member

Great story and mount.
    Ralph

8. Thanks for sharing, your experience reminds me of how fortunate we are as taxidermists.
    DC

9. That's awesome! It's what life's all about as far as I'm concerned! Carry those memories forever!!

10. EA

EA Well-Known Member

X 2, Very Nice

11. Steve W

Steve W Member

ohio
    Wonderful story and great looking mount!

12. Great job Jim! Thanks for sharing.

Bruce

13. Great story and beautiful mount!

14. tomdes

tomdes Me my dear and Fall BAZZ!!!

Great story Jim, sounds like you had many special moments..

Tom

15. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Jim thats great. Love it

16. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

I just have to smile at things our good fathers would say. " I don't want to burden you..." They don't realize that we get more out of it than they do!

Then there is "How much do I owe you?"..........If your Dad was anything like mine, you'd have a debt to him that you could never BEGIN to repay in dollars. Like you would ever take a dime from him!!

Very nice story.

17. alan webfoot

alan webfoot New Member

18. oldboar

oldboar Taxidermy...do the impossible:)

F'ing Beautiful!!!!

19. buckman170

buckman170 Member

Heart warming story, and a great mount to boot!

20. Brian Reinertson

Brian Reinertson Well-Known Member

Iowa
    Wow on all accounts, this is what it's all about. Great work Jim !