1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Straining airbrush paint

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Jon S, Apr 14, 2015.

1. Jon S

Jon S Well-Known Member

What all do you guys use to strain out airbrush paint?

Also, who is selling Woods and Water Paint these days?

2. Glenn M

Glenn M Well-Known Member

Unscrew lid on paint and stretch panty hose over it, then screw top back on, trim excess panty hose

3. Jon S

Jon S Well-Known Member

Thanks Glen, now I just have to figure out how to get my hands on some panty hose!

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Uh, try WalGreens it Rite Aid.

Glen, thanks for sharing that. It's a spectacular suggestion.

5. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Never had any issues or any need whatsoever to screen/strain my paint. If I did, I'd switch brands or airbrush. I'm guessing the folks that do (strain) are doing competitions using those high end air brushes with those super tiny tips that are typically used in the 2D/commercial art world???

6. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Marty water base paints can have some issues with it clumping up on the bottom if not used a lot or like you buy an 8 oz container and you have it five years lol. So it's wise to strain them no matter what brush your using to have a clean flow.

7. den007

den007 Active Member

So let me get this straight……I get some stretched panties and put them over the paint jar. Is pre-stretched okay? I am thinking one pair Queen size will cover a bunch of jars.

8. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

I hear ya Frank. Pigment solidifying on the bottom use to be an issue for me b/c I do use all WB paints and some do sit a while. But, I've found that it really is only a couple of heavily pigmented colors and whites. I strained once (and figured out a nylon over the container all on my own - lol!) and vowed never to do it again - what a pain! You have to break up the chunks first and inevitably much pigment gets lost. I believe it's MUCH easier (and wiser) to simply remember to shake the heck out of those three or four bottles once in awhile. Problem solved. It's quicker, less messy and zero waste...

9. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

I've always used panty hose but used it a little different. What I do is stretch it over the color cup and pour the paint onto it so that the strained paint falls into the color cup and the heavy sediments or pigments stay on the panty hose. Then just through it in a bucket of water till you use it again on the next color.

10. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

;D ;D ;D

11. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

You're not married or have a girlfriend? ;D

12. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I didn't know you were that kind of guy George! :eek: ;D

13. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

That's why I prefer lacquer.

I also like being high while I paint. Just kidding!