1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Advice appreciated! First project- measuring question

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by A.st., Apr 14, 2015.

1. A.st.

A.st. New Member

NW
    If you have time to read here is my experience ( or lack of! Haha) scroll down for actual question.

So I have been interested in taxidermy for a few yrs. there is a good school in my area but being as though I am not sure if I want to do this as a part time job ( I have a full time job already that pays the bills and I am happy with) I have not yet made a commitment to go to the school. Just not positive I want to spend the money for what might be "just a hobby". Anyways, I have been reading on here and watching videos of what I have felt are true professionals. My husband and I helped my husbands grandad find a nice black tail buck last yr. it's very sentimental and is a nice buck to boot. Grandad as we all call him, has never had anything mounted so I thought I would give it a go. Last fall ( when the buck was taken) I skinned him, split the lips an kinda fleshed it out. Since then I have read a ton on the subject, so when I took the hide out of the freezer I was shocked to see some of my mistakes... At least I have learned a lot since them right? It took me a couple hours to finish fleshing the cape, I'm slow at it right now but I know I will get faster with time and I wanted to be very thorough. I used lutan F. I found a post on this forum about how to use it and everyone seemed to agree It was a good tutorial. I split the cape while in the pickle. Got all of the sinew and membrane off ( all the red meat, and fat had been taken off before I salted and pickled. The lips eyes and nostrils split/rung and fleshed out. And the ears turned all the way to the edge of the cartilage ( also ear burst removed because I plan on using liners.)) so I followed the tanning instructions very carefully. No hair slippage and the leather is a very nice white color so I feel I did all that correctly. I measured before I put the deer into the freezer.

Here's my question: i remind you this is a western Oregon blacktail buck. I measured the neck a couple inches below the ears and got 16" I stretched the cape downwards then stretched the neck out until just taut. The face I turned right side out and matched the sides together and stretched it until it looked like a normal deer face. I did not pull it tight and it measured 7" the closest form I can find is the one pictured below. Will this work even though the neck is a bit small? All other necks with the eye to nose being correct are 17 1/2 to 18+ and I measured from the front (tear gland side of eye) to tip of nose.

Attached Files:

2. did you shave it to thin it i think if its thinned properly you may let out a little more. I would shave it and re measure before ordered a form

3. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

You can probably get a little more stretch in the neck, and you can easily come of the eye to nose 1/4" or so. There are a number of forms that are 6 3/4" x 16"-16 1/2"

4. A.st.

A.st. New Member

NW
    Closest form I have found so far is a 6" eye to nose, and a 16" neck. As for the shaving down I feel I did a good job, all sinew and membrane are removed, I thinned down the neck until just before you could start seeing the hair follicles. I know it not good if those are exposed so I was careful not to save too deep. This deer had an unusually long head when alive, he's actually kinda ugly haha, but gives him character, he was also taken before the deer in our area were really into the rut so his neck was not swelled at all. I was thinking I could buy the 6x16" form and cut the nose and extend it by 3/4 or 1" I would think this wouldn't alter the proportions too terribly. This is my first mount but I'm doing this as a gift so just having fun with it! Suggestions on this idea??

Also another complication is because of where in the house the deer will be hung it needs to be in a semi sneak and at least looking slightly to the left.