1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Ebay just told me they are no longer allowing taxidermy sales!

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by mark, Apr 15, 2015.

1. I was listing a fox for sale on Ebay, and recd an email from Ebay that it had been removed because the listing was in violation of Ebays policy re sales of animal parts, etc. So I call the number they gave me to complain, the Ebay spokesman said that as of February 6, 2015, Ebay was no longer allowing ANY TAXIDERMY SALES of any kind. So after making 100% sure I understood her, I called back, got a different spokesperson, and recd all the same answers.

My item was removed as a result of this new policy, they told me that hundreds of items are being removed daily, and that the policy change cannot be found currently on their website but will be soon.

I don't sell that much taxidermy on Ebay, but a lot of people do. I informed Ebay that I would be posting this news on this forum, and they stated that any taxidermists with any questions were encouraged to call them at 866-540-3229. I told them they will be receiving a lot of calls, she laughed and said they are expecting that.

I didn't see this anywhere on the forum previously, sorry if I missed it. Ebay has never allowed bears or mountain lion taxidermy, but this new policy eliminates all taxidermy, they made that point very clear.

2. WildlifeLady

WildlifeLady Member

Ohio
    Well, that sucks. I guess Ebay doesn't want any business. I look for stuff on there all the time.

3. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

Wonder who is behind this. HSUS? PETA? Both? Didn't they go through something like this several years ago, or am I thinking of something else they banned and allowed to come back on.

4. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

I still see leather of all kinds, belts, purses, jackets......Fly tying materials of fur, feathers etc...Dog bones and leather chews...Cat food containing meats..jerky and other foods. Looks like animal parts to me..

Not that it bothers me, I've never bought or sold anything there nor do I have a need to.

5. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

After being transferred 5 times and disconnected 2 times I was told taxidermy items are allowed as long as they aren't freeze dried. I was also told they will be listed as sporting goods. I asked for the policy and they are sending me a link. They said while it does say no animal parts, there are several exceptions including taxidermy.

6. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

Sooo, don't ask, don't tell. How they going to know?

7. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

This is the link they sent me:
    http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/wildlife.html

8. The link ebay sent you looks like the same rules as before. The date both ebay reps gave me was Feb 6 for the new policy regarding all taxidermy no longer being allowed. Wait and see i guess.
    I was given a three day "timeout" for violating the new policy. They told me next time id be stopped from selling indefinitely. I did a search for taxidermy 28k items came up.

9. scottdawg

scottdawg Member

Three Day " timeout" LMAO..... sounds like schools these days.

10. Ebay in Australia is still selling taxidermy animals

11. DL

DL Well-Known Member

Try ETSY. Doesn't hurt to list on both.

12. Ebay THIS MONTH had several bear mounts listed for sale. I was amazed as anything to do with bears had never been allowed. Maybe they were pulled later but there were six or seven on there when I looked.

13. Here's a link that may be of interest.

http://www.lifestyleuncut.com/animal/opinion-should-ebay-be-allowed-to-sell-dead-animals.html

14. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

They are not smart enough to know why this cat is not going anywhere, LOL!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TAXIDERMY-VERY-NICE-SPOTTED-UNTANNED-LG-MALE-BOBCAT-SKIN-for-LIFESIZE-MOUNT-22-/371262864641?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5670fdbd01

15. AMCTaxi

AMCTaxi Wholesale Small Mammal Taxidermist

I've pretty much all but given up on eBay. There is so much garbage to rift through to find anything significant. I'd rather just come here and ask for what I am looking for and get a quality product. On the flipside, as a seller, eBay's fees + paypal fees are absurd. By the time it's all said and done, it's not worth it.

16. Well its been 6 weeks since two different reps told me no more taxidermy sales on Ebay. I just did a search...16,375 taxidermy items listed, (mostly crap for the first three pages). I don't know why they picked on me....I guess because I was selling what they called an "endangered" species. An arctic fox. Funny how the greenies think anything that lives in the arctic is endangered...like snow geese.

17. PlagueWolf

PlagueWolf Missouri Fur Trapper

They are CITES protected, perhaps thats why? Then again so are wolves, bobcat, lynx, fisher, otter, etc. yet I continue to see many of those.
    They ARE endangered in some locations however so that could also be a factor.

18. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

this post is well over a year old