1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Unknown ground squirrel

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by lokireptiles, Apr 15, 2015.

1. lokireptiles

lokireptiles Member

So I got some skulls from an unknown location and species (basically unlabeled skulls from the back if someone's freezer).

Before the skulls are cleaned and whitened the teeth seem very light, almost white in comparison to a red, grey or fox squirrel. In all likely hood it's a US species because to my knowledge the person I got it from deals with US species only.

Any ideas ? Pictures are posted below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. RENUIRT

RENUIRT Member

..it looks like it came from a prairie dog..maybe black-tailed prairie dog.? :)

3. LOL you got the skulls from me - and yes they are black tailed prairie dogs. Founds some more in the freezer labeled UNK then crossed out and labeled correctly!

4. akvz

akvz New Member

I don't know... maybe you could send it to me for an expert opinion. ;)

BTW, the colour of the teeth can be an indicator of species but it can also be an indicator of age as well. Beavers, porcupines, etc. get darker orange teeth as they grow older, as the orange colouration is from iron in the enamel that strengthens it and they are not born with this. This is obviously an adult, but a baby squirrel would probably have the same colour to the teeth!

5. Orkman-X

Orkman-X New Member

yep prairie dog.

6. lokireptiles

lokireptiles Member

Thanks all for the confirmation. I was thinking prairie dog but was not 100% sure.

7. lokireptiles

lokireptiles Member

AKVZ,

In this case the teeth are all about the same color with all the examples cleaned.