1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Finally going to try my 1st Repro

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by ortegageno, Apr 16, 2015.

1. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    Well after 6 years I'm finally gonna give it a whirl. Probably picked a hell of a fish to replicate (brook trout) but I'm even more crazy to take it to our show and have Jeff Morning tear it apart. But I will learn though.

2. JHardman

JHardman Active Member

Good Luck! Jeff is pretty tough, he's a good Judge and a really nice guy. He was just at our show in WY, great seminar from one of the best in the business. As for the Brook Trout Jeff is a real cold water expert so you should learn a lot from a critique like that.

3. Brian W

Brian W Well-Known Member

One of the best ways to learn......good luck.

4. I can tell you from experience at the Texas show Jeff won't give you any points. He is tough.

5. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    Thanks guys, one quick question are these eyes supposed to be dull looking. Guess I'm used to opening a package of mammals eyes and they sparkle. These trout eyes are dull as hech I tried windex but no help. Maybe once the clear coat is applied they will look alive.

6. Brian W

Well....with a question like that, you certainly do have much to learn....lol. Of course the eyes will come alive when you apply the clear..... ;D

7. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    You ain't lying Brian, I just thought for $170.00 fish the eyes would look better From the get go. But glad they will look better once the clear is applied. Hey you can only learn so much from a dvd. Lol. Thanks for the response

8. Brian W

Just ribbin ya man.........

9. naturalcreati40

naturalcreati40 Active Member

Are you using water based paints? I've painted fish before using my water based paints and when I didn't like them, scrubbed the paint off with a soft brush and windex and then started over, something to keep in mind

10. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    no not talking about over spray as I have not even attempted to paint it yet. I'll be using lacquer paints. I'll try and post a pic later.

11. naturalcreati40

naturalcreati40 Active Member

If you were responding to me Hammer, I wasn't talking about overspray, I was talking about the whole fish haha. but I don't know how you'd do it using lacquer paints. With my water base paints I just erase the whole thing and start over. It's harder if you seal at certain points during the painting process like some do.

12. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

Tohicon glass eyes sparkle right out of the box. What kind of eyes are you using?

13. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    Have no idea, like I said this is my 1st attempt and I ordered it with the eyes and fins installed From starfish.

14. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    What a disaster, fish looked like hell. Gonna start over for the 3rd time. Maybe I should have not picked a fish with so much vermiculation. But I'm learning. Learning to keep my cool and not throw this in the trash. Lol

15. Brian W

Funny you say that as I believe everyone at some time in their learning curve, has been frustrated to the point of chucking something.....lol. My first practice Crappie comes to mind. I knew nothing and everything happened. Scales flying off like little ninja blades, skin ripping everywhere, etc. I was patient and keeping cool for about the first 3 holes/rips I put in that thin skin. I'd get a tear and would say, well thats not too bad, then another, well lets not too bad, then another, weeeellllllll, that's not toooooo bad. Then I lost it, picked it up and tore it the rest of the way to finalize my frustration, lol, and in the can it went. On to the next practice fish......which, learning some from the first one, took more time and was more gentle. Got away with only one hole that time....but I'll never forget that first one...... ;D

16. One of the many things you will learn is the huge difference between a commercial and competion replica.

17. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    Also this representation of a fish is off as far as a show piece is concerned. I'm no fish expect but I can tell the symmetry on the head is off the inner mouth is thicker on one side than the other, the dorsal fin is laYing down too flat. And these are obvious defects that i can see and I know nothing about fish. What will a multi world champion find wrong? Guess we'll find out in 3 weeks. Lol

either.