1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

bird wash-dry-freeze question

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Ed, Apr 16, 2015.

1. Ed

Ed Member

I work a revolving work schedule so I do some of my taxidermy in stages. My question is has anyone here washed and dried a duck then returned to freezer till another day to mount? My worry is the bird may become stiff when thawed. Thanks Ed

2. alan webfoot

alan webfoot New Member

It'll become stiff when frozen ,,,no it won't be a problem wrap it well again ,suggest you wash it well rinse clean then wrap up the skin damp feathers and all making sure they're not bent kinked or curled first

3. Ed

Ed Member

Thanks for the reply but I was curious about having the bird completely dried and fluffed before refreezing. Ed

4. fowlweatherfowler

fowlweatherfowler Well-Known Member

NW Ohio
    I do this and have not had a issue. I do mist the skin with water after I dry before freezing. When I'm ready to mount I put it in the fridge thay morning and work on it after work in the evening.

Only issue I could see is if they were in the freezer for a extended period of time. I think the longest I've left one in the freezer was at most 6 months

5. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

Leave the necking material in, place damp papertowels inside body and a piece inside head. Drop it in a plastic grocery bag. Don't squash. When you take it out let it thaw completely. Redry/fluff where needed. Longest I've left one is 2 days.

6. MallardsFowlLife

MallardsFowlLife Well-Known Member

Same thing here. I dry mine but leave the inside skin just damp. Left them in the freezer for up to 2 months with no issues.

7. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

^^ What she said! I do this all the time. The longest I've left them in the freezer is 4 weeks!