1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How to do wet mounts?

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by btr, Apr 16, 2015.

1. btr

btr Member

Ok, this is sort of off topic but I don't see a better spot.

Any of you do wet mounts of whole specimens (ie, in a jar of preservative)?

If I get a formalin-fixed specimen, will 91% isopropyl alcohol work, or would I need something else?

???

2. lokireptiles

lokireptiles Member

Yes, no
    :)

3. PA

PA Well-Known Member

http://www.taxidermy.net/forums/IndustryArticles/02/k/02985396A5.html

4. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

PA do you have a reference of all your old posts or do you just have good luck in finding them? :) You do have a lot of good ones.

5. PA

PA Well-Known Member

I don't keep a index in any manner. I used to try and only post when I had something worth saying - i.e. not waste space, but lately I don't always follow that rule. In order to find things I have to try and remember the details of some past post - even one a dozen years ago or more. Gladly, Ken has kept the old archive available and I have to try and search either under the Taxidermologist or PA and whatever specific key words I used - usually on Google, not the "in-house" search engine.

A couple weeks ago the old archive went offline for a bit, and I worried I had lost past efforts, but it is still up there. Occasionally I find posts I had long forgot about when searching, and learn stuff all over again. I write a lot of History angled posts, and I am gratified when someone actually finds stuff in the old forums. For example, The Taxidermidades Website, the best worldwide historical taxidermy blog in the world, found a post I made in 2003 I had forgotten. The way I found it was by story on J W Elwood where the old archive was cited in print. See: http://www.taxidermidades.com/2015/01/la-northwestern-school-of-taxidermy.html#more
    (There is a translation function on the page)

6. btr

btr Member

Thanks!