1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Taxidermy financing - anyone heard of this new program?

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by trainhuntfuel, Apr 17, 2015.

1. trainhuntfuel

trainhuntfuel New Member

I just wanted to share some information about a new program I was told about yesterday by my taxidermist called Trophy Funding and was curious if anyone else has heard of it. They will finance your mount through them. It sounds like an awesome deal. I've definitely struggled paying that 50% down after a big hunt to my taxidermist. I've seen a lot of threads in the past with this topic so I thought I'd share it with you all. The site is Trophyfunding.com

What do y'all think? Anyone used it?

2. WildlifeLady

WildlifeLady Member

Ohio
    Just make payment to your taxidermist and avoid the interest! :p

3. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

trainhunt fuel ......

I see you are from Reno and so is the business. Just go check them out.

Kerby...

4. duxrus

duxrus Active Member

Probably a good idea to wait if you can't afford to put deposits down...just saying

5. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

financing or not, you better be paid in full before that mount leaves the shop or you'll never see the rest of it.

6. James Parrish

James Parrish Tundra Swan...Its What's For Dinner!

I work with my customers to ensure they get the mount they want on terms that fit their needs. I did a few seaduck mounts for a young soldier a couple years ago. I don't remember the total cost, but it was well over $2000. For an enlisted man, that is a pretty stout bill. He paid me a couple hundred down and then set it up so that the DoD would send me $100 out of his paycheck while he was deployed. After a couple months, he upped it to $200 per month. We had agreed that when there was $500 left owing, I would mount the birds. I got my money and he got the mounts he wanted...just not in the typical 1/2 down fashion.

When I was doing mammals, I would have guys bring in big bears, African, etc. Those bills would be thousands of dollars. If they asked, I would do 1/3 down, 1/3 when the tanning was complete, and the final 1/3 at pick up.

Since it usually takes me a year to get trophies completed, I don't see why this service is needed. If the person can't get the money together over the period of 12 months, they can't afford my services and I'd rather them forgo having that animal mounted.

7. Sounds like a tough way to make a living - financing people that can't afford their taxidermy bill. Hopefully the finance company is better at collecting than taxidermists are.

8. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

They will not finance someone that is not credit worthy so really the risk is not all that great and they stand to make a good buck in interest. Or in the case of this leasing program, it is all built in with their mount as collateral. However, in some cases there are those who will make a monthly payment on time every month but are incapable of saving the money for the down payment of anything more than a six pack!

9. nevadatannery

nevadatannery New Member

Trophyfunding.com is legit. I met with there rep yesterday in my shop and it sounds like a pretty good thing for our industry. I as a Tannery/Taxidermist will definitely be using the service. I see it as a way to up sale and increase yearly profit by giving my customers more choices.

10. Randy Miller

Randy Miller Active Member

I just looked over their website. I can't see where that program gets me paid in full on time and worse, if my customer refuses to be satisfied, it takes control of my ability to decide what I will do with the situation. Now if they want to make a customer a loan, and pay me my fee, in full, on time, then fine. Otherwis, how does it help me?

11. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I never cease to be amazed at how people spend money they don't have. Taxidermy is not a necessity, it's a luxury. I see people all the time who should be putting their money elsewhere besides tossing it away on taxidermy. Seriously, having mounts financed! People need to learn discipline and sound money management. My wife and I don't owe much of anything anymore, and the way we built our nest egg was by avoiding unnecessary purchases.

I often convince young people into waiting to having something mounted, or downsizing to something that fits their budget. Financing anything besides a car and a house is most always a bad investment.

12. Randy Miller

And what do they mean by rent to own? I'M NOT renting my work!!??! What happens if the customer decides to not follow through? What then? The web site says work begins when they recieve the customer's first payment. Does that mean the taxidermist is paid by trophyfunding in full and the deal then is between trophyfunding and the customer? If so I bet they get stuck with mounts, lol.Bet they lose thier behinds on this.

13. gab

gab Active Member

financing taxidermy?it's called a credit card!If your credit is so bad you don't have a credit card why would someone finance you?

14. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I am not saying one way or the other, but ask them, directly, any questions you have, they will answer them.

15. Randy Miller

LOL, that's why I take Visa/MC!

16. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

trainhuntfuel - Do you work for this company? Just curious.

Unless this company is willing to adhere to your usual policy of 50% down up front (or whatever you charge) or you don't have a check in hand within lets say 10 days, and the balance before it leaves the shop I would steer clear.

Exactly!

I am not going to call them but I would love to see the terms on a $1200.00 lease for twelve months. In the end it will probably end up costing over $1500.00, for something if they had a discipline and money management they could have just made $100.00 per month payments to the taxidermist and been through with it and saved a bundle! They are not getting the mount back any sooner anyway.

Vic

17. Randy Miller

I'm not going to call them either. Their website spoke volumes enough by what it did'nt say.

18. The combined number of posts by the TWO guys on here that LOVE this program is FOUR! and ALL of them are pushing this financing crap, both in NV. Same guy I am guessing.
    I am not against somebody coming on here and introducing a new program....but why try to sneak it in the back door? Starting out devious like you are just some guy who happened across a great new program wont get you many takers on this site.

My Taxi-net golden rule is beware of dealing with newbies and NEVER single digit post newbies.

I don't usually get involved in these type posts but for crying out loud....just TAKE CREDIT CARDS 90% of your customers use them and now its legal to charge them for the privilege.

19. KamronD

KamronD New Member

After reading through these posts and comments on Trophy Funding, I thought I would chime in and help clear some things up. I want to be very respectful of this forum and I am not going to use this as a tool to promote our business, so if there are any other questions please contact me at [email protected] I simply want to answer some questions which have popped up to help taxidermists understand the true benefits for them and their clients, and how this can help the industry as a whole. This thread was not started by us, nor have any of the comments been through us.

Trophy Funding is ultimately designed to help hunters afford the mount they truly want through the CHOICE of budgeting small monthly payments, in turn helping Taxidermist’s increase their jobs and stabilize their cash flow. It is purely another option for a hunter to use to spread out their payments vs. 50/50 bulk payments.

For the Taxidermists we guarantee to pay you, and we have structured our payments to be modeled after industry standards of a down payment to cover costs of goods to get the mount started and then a final payment to you as soon as the mount is completed. You now will know exactly when you are paid, and won’t have to rely on fighting to get the final payment any longer. We track all payments from the customer for you and we do not charge any fees to the taxidermists to use the program, like credit cards would. There are many hunters that have maxed out their credit cards on their hunts, maybe do not have the credit history to acquire one at all, or prefer the benefits of spreading out their payments over time (12-24 months), and our program is a great way to help them out. We are extremely lenient with our approval rate and consider all credit levels, while still offering very competitive tiered rates. The demand for a program like this is high from the hunters and we have approvals daily where the hunters ask us what taxidermist’s are accepting our program. Is it for every hunter? No. Is it for every taxidermist? No, but when we explain the program in full to a taxidermist or hunter, most agree this is a great tool to simply give another option. Many hunters want more than a standard shoulder mount, but a hefty down payment after an expensive hunt can sometimes be difficult, whereas spreading out the payments over time gives them the ability to do so.

We are a company who are all hunters from the top down and we share the love for the outdoors as much as anyone. We have worked and consulted with world renowned taxidermists developing this program to make sure to touch on the pain points taxidermists experience in their day to day business.

Please feel free to e-mail me at any time and I would be happy to walk you through the program A-Z. Our relationships with our Taxidermist partners are of the upmost importance to us and we will work our tails off to make sure this program will be a success for you and your clients.

Thank You and God Bless.

Kamron
    [email protected]
    www.trophyfunding.com

20. dmac1175

dmac1175 Active Member

Hunters should take into consideration the taxidermy bill before the hunt not after. Kinda like going out to eat at a nice restaurant but can't afford to tip the waitress. What gets me is these guys that have thousands of dollars tied up in a duck boat, decoys, shotgun, retrieve r, waders, etc., and either gripe about paying $225 for a duck mounted or ask if they bring two can they get a discount.