1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

turkey fortune tailer

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by clinton ms., Apr 17, 2015.

1. anybody ever use one of the turkey fortune tailers, just got one and it is driving me crazy, cant keep the feathers in it.

2. duxrus

duxrus Active Member

Great idea but that slick plastic SUCKS !!! The only way I figured out to make it somewhat work was to elevate the base of the tail while using tape on the feather tips to hold everything in place long enough to bondo .

3. giveem3 steve

giveem3 steve Member

Personally I can't get the one I have to work no matter what I try to do. Some people might have figured it out but I cannot. I have had better luck with a wire bent in the shape I like and I lay the feathers over that before I Bondo them. I've been happy with that method. the concept of the fortune trailer is great just no very well designed in my opinion. I'd like to figure it out one day. If someone has please share. I'm sure there are others that have struggled with it as well.

4. Glass eye

Glass eye Active Member

After taping the feathers spread out how I like, I lay it face down on wax paper and lay a U shaped wire on top of the quills. Now here's where I get the shape.....place a heavy item on top of the wire just a couple inches below the quills. Pour a small amount of foam or bondo.

5. duxrus

duxrus Active Member

roll of paper towels is about the right height and shape also or a couple rolls of masking tape. I have always wondered if you sprayed the fortune tailer with non skid coating (the liquid rubber spray) if that would solve the issue of the feathers just sliding out of the spaces. That slick plastic is a horrible design flaw.

6. Shawn73

Shawn73 Active Member

Get sand paper with the sticky backing, cut little strip and stick it in the edges. Coarser the better

7. glad to know I am not the only one having problems, I think I am going to send mine back,

8. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

I have all the ones he has designed and have not had as much trouble as some of you guys. Its a lot easier than doing those layered tails without his jig. Of course I also did what Shawn73 has mentioned to all of mine.

9. maj1969

maj1969 New Member

MO
    I just got 2 of them a couple months ago. Was having the same problems with feathers slipping out. I drilled a small hole in the end of each shelf. I place a t-pin in each hole as I insert each feather. Works great now.

10. dwimberly

dwimberly Member

MS
    Apparently I stand alone when I say that I love it. I screwed mine to a small piece of plywood and in front I cut 2 small 2x4's about 4 inches long and stacked them together to make the base of the tail sit up 3 inches. I put blue tape over the 2x4's so I can bondo the tail and it doesn't stick. I absolutely love mine and I own the 2 of them.

11. maj1969

maj1969 New Member

MO
    I love them too, great idea. Just makes it a lot easier when you can lock the feathers in as you go. I saw Andy use one in one of his videos, he made it look easy. I'm not as coordinated as he is I guess

12. Shawn73

Shawn73 Active Member

I love mine I like the pin idea. Does it move as you put the bondo on. I mix a poly putty with my bondo so it's thinner and I pour it on so your not fighting with the feathers. Once it's cured I put a little straight bondo on it for extra strength.

13. critterstuffr

critterstuffr New Member

You have to elevate the base of the tail. They show you exactly how to build it . Once that's done set the feathers and a piece of painters tape near the base and let it dry. Mine works great tails perfectly spaced every time.

14. ryhunter

ryhunter Member

TN
    The tips of the tail feathers should overhang the tool by about 2 inches.
    The trick to keeping the feathers from popping out of the slots is to place the ends of the quills on very edge of block (the edge closest to tool). When the quills are on the center of the block is when you will have this problem.

This is what Andy told me, himself.

Hope this helps!

15. ryhunter

ryhunter Member

TN
    :)

Attached Files:

16. ryhunter

ryhunter Member

TN
    :)

Attached Files: