1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

hydrogen pyroxide whitening

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by AngryDrake, Apr 18, 2015.

1. AngryDrake

AngryDrake New Member

I have this eight pointer and it's fairly white but in certain spots its not whitening as well. Is there anything I can do in addition to the pyroxide brushing?

2. jhunter13

jhunter13 Member

Did you degrease it? How did you remove the flesh?

3. AngryDrake

AngryDrake New Member

I had to boil it was rancid and I just did McKenzie degreaser in warm water a few hours with water changes

4. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Probably will need a longer time degreasing if it actually got boiled. Rather than McKenzies, try Dawn dish detergent. 1/4 cup or less in 5 gallons of water. If you can keep it heated, leave it in there for a week and see. Around 120 degrees if you can do it. If you are a pro at holding low temperatures on a burner or stove you can try the detergent on a stovetop but unless you can completely avoid any further boiling I wouldn't. I use a fishtank thermometer that I have tampered with to make the temperature higher for single projects like this.

5. AngryDrake

AngryDrake New Member

There would be no way of say dabbing a q tip with bleach on yellowy parts?

6. greatbasin

greatbasin Member

chlorine bleach + bone = damage...I would not do it, even in small amounts.

7. AngryDrake

AngryDrake New Member

Is there anything i can do or is it the way it is now?...short of attempting the whole degreasing thing again.

8. AngryDrake

AngryDrake New Member

Its been pyroxided about 11 days now, will it continue to yellow or has it yellowed as much as it will?

9. AH7

AH7 New Member

The problem is grease. You can peroxide that thing until it glows (okay, maybe not that far!), but if you don't get the grease out, it will always have the stains!

Degrease it if you want it to look good. Dab it with a q-tip of whatever you like if you want it to be splotchy forever.

BTW, it will only get worse over time! More grease will come to the surface. This is a long slow process, not something that can be done right in a few hours, despite all of the snake oil claims to the contrary.

10. AngryDrake

AngryDrake New Member

If I degrease it would I need to re-pyroxide it? I would right?

11. AngryDrake

AngryDrake New Member

I wouldn't be able to use my stove for a week. The thermometer may work but I don't know..is there a way I could do acetone as I had readsomewhere there was a method mixture for that? As for re doing the pyroxide that's a must correct?

12. AH7

AH7 New Member

Not at all. I'm guessing that you have whitened the heck out of it. All that remains is the grease. If you soak it for long enough, then you will be done.

Soap water (preferably warm) for a few weeks would be best. Soaking in ammonia (straight from the hardware/drug store - no dilution) would be the next best. Acetone is best for degreasing smaller things or really stubborn specimens, but your's sin't there yet. If you don't want heated soap water, then go with a few gallons of ammonia. Don't worry about peroxide anymore. I think you're done with that.

And for the love of God, do NOT mix the peroxide and ammonia! Or heat acetone. Either of those will possibly kill you. (The former will LIKELY kill you, but the latter could get very exciting and fire-ish.)

13. AngryDrake

AngryDrake New Member

Thank you! I have whited the heck out of it. About how long would I have to let it sit in ammonia.

Also, I went to a taxi institute, the guy was a master in Pennsylvania for everything I can imagine and well respected by many in various States. I did my homework on him/ the institute best I could, well I called him and asked him what he would do and told him how I degreased in warm/ hotter water but not boiling and changed water each hour with McKenzie's. He said nothing on it would look terrible or ruin it and mcjdnzuez would be better than dish soap, it may not have the same effect quite a week soak might but it definite is stronger and had some effect

Certainly I want it to be the best I can so I'm wondering about how much longer I'd need the ammonia, but in more skull experienced guys thoughts would the mount eventually be ruined if I chose not to do the ammonia.

14. jhunter13

jhunter13 Member

No fast cure to grease. I plan for 6 month on all euros. Some done faster some longer. The advice above is solid and dead on.

15. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

As above. Especially being boiled, there is no quick fix. Get a couple of bottles of clear ammonia at the hardware store. It isn't that expensive. Cover it with ammonia and leave it alone for about a month and then go back and look at it. Top off the ammonia if it evaporates. Covering it to some degree will help with that. Acetone is a bad choice with skulls with antlers as it is very volatile and potentially just as dangerous as gasoline.

Try a long soak in ammonia. Rinse it well in hot water and let it dry for several days. If that gets the grease out you may not need to whiten it again. If it is still greasy after the ammonia then try a soak for another month in heated Dawn and water. It has to be heated to around 120 for deer. If you don't get the grease out, no matter how much you whiten will not make it look any better and the grease will eventually darken, turn orange and also possibly grow mold.