1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Mounting a split ear.

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by camoman, Apr 20, 2015.

1. I have a whitetail that has a split ear. My customer wants to keep the mount with the split ear. I use earliners and my question is do I split the earliner during the mounting process or mount it, card it and cut the exposed earliner out during the finishing? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. WW

WW New Member

Remove the ear cartilage. Lay the cartilage on the earliner and use it as a pattern to trim the liner to shape. Sometimes I end up with a few holes when I remove the cartilage, but I just repair the holes as I normally do before gluing in the earliner.

3. jk

jk Active Member

If the split is an odd shape it can be difficult to get the earliner in sometimes. I also card the ear for a few days while drying.
    J

4. critterstuffr

critterstuffr New Member

I just open the ear all the way open. Then insert the earliner trace the split. Then remove it trim to fit plus an 1/8 of an inch. Clean the ear, sand the liner, and add paste of your choice. Set the ear, brush the hair pattern then before carding wipe the edge and Crazy glue the edges together and card as usual. It has worked for me over the years.

5. Yep, just like he said. Works every time.

6. Thank you to all, I appreciate the information.