1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Capes cut wrong and what I do...

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by joeym, Apr 22, 2015.

1. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I get half dozen or so of these annually. I don't bother my customer, I don't go lookin' for another cape...I just fix it...done...30 minutes and its over.

[​IMG]

IF I call the customer and tell them they trashed the cape, half of them will say just do an antler mount, while the other half will cancel the job rather than pay for a cape. Additionally, I just am wasting time on the phone with a customer, while I could be repairing the cape and finishing the job. So, I just fix them, don't charge for my repair, and if they don't like the way it looks, I remind them who botched it up to begin with.

[​IMG]

I know, I know...I SHOULD charge for my time, or I SHOULD try to sell them a cape....but that rarely ever works out for me. So I just fix 'em and move on.

2. rbear

rbear Well-Known Member

I believe that it is the best way to deal with a cape like that. Keep up the good work.
    Ralph

3. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mine wasn't as bad as yours. I used MichaelP's methods for a faux rock. I ended up adding grass because the rock looked like a bad tumor!

4. Redfisher

Redfisher New Member

That is awesome! Joeym did u just sew that back together or did u add a new brisket? Great job!!

5. eagleone

eagleone New Member

Nice work!

6. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Just sewed it back together, then went over the stitch line with super glue and hammered it down flat. I think many taxidermists are not careful when skinning a deer in this condition. Always lay the skin out on a table and piece the front legs and brisket in place before cutting off the backhide. If one is not careful, important parts of the brisket will be discarded with the backhide. On occasion, a customer will cut the front legs off too short. In that case, the form must be altered or another cape must be used.

7. KevinH

KevinH Active Member

I do the same thing when I get ones in like that. Does make me wonder how some people learned to skin/gut the deer. Not sure when gutting why they have to slice in up past the brisket, I can get all the goodies out of a 12 inch hole. It is good advice to check capes before just cutting off the back half and throwing it out.

p.s. I dont charge extra either, but thats just the kinda guy I am....ahwell. I do tell them how to do it properly for next time though, which they usually appreciate.

8. Jon S

Jon S Well-Known Member

How are you using the super glue with this Joey?

9. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

After stitching the seam, make sure no hair is protruding through the stitch line, then apply super glue on top of the stitches (on the skin side, of course). Take a hammer and tap along the seam to flatten it out. Gluing prevents the skin from pulling apart along the stitch line while mounting and drying.

10. Redfisher

Redfisher New Member

Great! Thanks joeym

11. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I do the same as you joeym, However, I put their cost for the repair on the invoice and then waive it. They get a good object lesson without losing money. If they continue to screw it up year after year, they get charged.

12. Jon S

Jon S Well-Known Member

Thanks Joey, I will use that super glue tip.

13. tem

tem Well-Known Member

I never had to fix one like that yet :) so my ? is when you sew it up is it tighter on the form and more difficult to move around?

14. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Not really. It's the same as one that wasn't botched up once its repaired.

15. troy

troy Member

PA
    Most of the time I just gripe about the skin job, point it out to the customer (if it's not frozen), tell them I'll do what I can with it, and then do as good as I can sewing it up. It needs to be really muffed up for me to use another cape. Although I have given capes to customers who had a "buddy" skin it (cuz they didn't know how) and he made a mess out of it. ("But he's been skinning deer for 30 years!" I said "Maybe, but he's been skinning them wrong for 30 years.") And a young lad who's first buck was skinned by his friend when neither of them knew what they were doing, and cut it right up to the chin!! The kid was almost in tears so I offered him a free cape. Thought he was gonna kiss me! :eek: Now for the people who are arrogant or smart about it cuz they didn't care for the hide properly or they know it all, I tell them they can buy one. (Some people are jerks!) I tell them it isn't cheap to do so why use a crappy hide to start with and then they're not happy in the end. Some go with it and some walk. I say either is fine with me. And Joey, thanks for the seam tip!! I WILL be using that!

16. Just sent this one home. No hide to stitch up.[​IMG]

17. Non-Typical_IL

Non-Typical_IL Member

Looks pretty nice to my untrained eye!!!
    ;)

18. turkeyshooter

turkeyshooter Member

That repair looks great!

19. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    Do you get these extra capes for free and what about the tanning ? I can't see how you don't lose money on this. If you do 6 per year that's $300.00 in just tanning Of these replacement parts capes. I'm sure back east capes are a dime a dozen but out west you ain't getting no cape for free.

20. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    Do you get these extra capes for free and what about the tanning ? I can't see how you don't lose money on this. If you do 6 per year that's $300.00 in just tanning Of these replacement parts capes. I'm sure back east capes are a dime a dozen but out west you ain't getting no cape for free.