1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Capes cut wrong and what I do...

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by joeym, Apr 22, 2015.

1. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    Do you get these extra capes for free and what about the tanning ? I can't see how you don't lose money on this. If you do 6 per year that's $300.00 in just tanning Of these replacement parts capes. I'm sure back east capes are a dime a dozen but out west you ain't getting no cape for free.

2. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

George WAS wrong......you CAN fix stupid, and it din't even hurt!

3. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I get plenty of extra capes, but prefer to use the one that came on the deer if possible. BTW, I DP whitetail capes.

4. Great save there Joey, and a very timely post, as I have a red stag to mount that has exactly the same issue, and I'd rather not resort to a neck-mount. Plus, I'd rather use the original cape as he's a gnarly old feller with huge coronets.

For us newbies, can you please describe the step-by-step process a little more? Are you cutting the brisket (chest) area off a second cape and sewing it into place, or are you using other offcuts of the skin to patch it? I have another ten or so red stags on the books at the moment so plenty of spare offcuts etc...

Do you then mount the skin and sew the patch in after, or do you put it on the form, measure, then remove and sew it together off the form? And either way, what stitch do you use for that job?

Apologies for all the questions, and again, great work and I'd appreciate any advice you can offer!

Cheers

blacks

5. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Most customers bring in the entire skin. It's all there, just cut wrong. If you cut off the backhide without paying attention, the major components of the legs and brisket will be needlessly discarded. Lay the skin out on a table, and piece it back together prior to cutting off the backhide. You will have what you need to work with. Now, if some genius cut the front legs off at the shoulders, you're screwed into cutting the mannikin off to match the cape. Hope this helps...joeym

6. Ahh OK, thanks for that Joey. Unfortunately all that I was brought by the cusomter looks like the pic in your original post....maybe not quite as severe. I don't have the rest of that cape.

I was wondering if it's possible to transplant from another cape's offcuts, or whether it's a neck mount option only...

Cheers

blacks

7. twinrivers

twinrivers Active Member

Nice save. A good rule of thumb for the new guys is to always cut your capes off 6 inches behind the armpits when able to do so. This will leave you plenty of hide to work with.

8. J Cook

J Cook Cook Taxidermy

This might help, if it was cut up the belly , neck and throat area to gut it, the hide should all be there and not need a patch. Just realign hide and sew back together. If there are pieces of hide missing, then a patch may be needed or a new cape. I had a cape come in from a kids first deer, his Dad cut it clear up the front to about 6 inches back of the lip, all the hide was there, I just realigned the hide and sewed it up. Once mounted, you could not tell it was sewed.