1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Natural Bone Polishing/Staining

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by michislett, Apr 25, 2015.

1. michislett

michislett New Member

I've done some taxidermy work as an apprentice and I'm very interested in jewelry making with excess bones and scraps. I'm looking to use natural/indigenous approaches as much as I can being the environmentalist that I am to reduce my impact (i.e. discarding chemicals used in the staining process, etc...) I was curious if anyone had any natural approaches I can use when: cleaning bone, polishing/staining bone, carving/shaping bone, etc...

I'm really interested in learning more about primitive/indigenous taxidermy, however I still enjoy learning the modern techniques as I'm still very new and take on projects when I'm able to do so.

Thank you!
    Marina

2. Cleaning bone with Dawn dish soap is very nature friendly.

For natural polishing, there are waxes.

Carving by hand is very hard, but there are handtools you can buy to do so. I'd recommend a dremel, however. I have some tutorials on my blog at www.bonejeweler.com

3. michislett

michislett New Member

Thank you very much I will check it out!

4. Using herbs, coffee, tea, and deeply colored vegetable puree is great for staining. There's a great deal on Amazon for a half pound of lavender flowers for $10 and you just steep them like tea and soak the bones for as long as you want them color-saturated. Used coffee grounds and cheap loose leaf tea is also awesome for adding an antique look to bone. Make sure they're dry and the liquid is hot to get best results. Good luck!