1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Chinook Salmon

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by ausfish, Apr 25, 2015.

1. ausfish

ausfish Member

Hi all i am after a blank of a 5lb Chinook salmon(male) having trouble finding one that size (small for you guys) but that is a good fish for us here. Thankyou Des.

2. Make one up from scratch Des . Get some good reference pics off internet with dimensions, model the fish up in potters clay, make a plaster mould of it , then do a fibreglass cast from the mould . Problem solved, ya cant always find commercials to suit so sometimes have to compromise . ;)

3. ausfish

ausfish Member

Thanks Bender that's an interresting way of do it . I will try a smaller fish first and see how i go.cheers Des.

4. I made up a Brooky from scratch recently , couldn't find a blank to match its massive proportions. Its time consuming Des n depends how good you are at modelling , you no doubt do mould making already. Also the cost of getting blanks to this side of the world is making buying in repros less viable. The last blank ( and only one ) I bought in was a 8 lb Brown , it cost well ova $300 Aus landed . Freight is a killer and the conversion rate aint brilliant. It was a nice blank though I did spend some time modifying it to my exact specs. No more blanks for me Des , wouldn't be so bad if lived next door to the guys who makes em. ;)