1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Re attaching an old duck to plaque

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by E. Byrd, Apr 26, 2015.

1. E. Byrd

E. Byrd Member

I've got an old teal that I am messing with. It may be a waste of time but however they had it mounted is obviously broken. He was gonna throw it away and I saw a learning opportunity. The body is pretty easy to tear and it has some holes in it. It is full of wood wool. Question is , what is the best method to put a support wire in that would keep the bird from spinning. Stupid question I know but I couldn't pass up the opportunity to learn

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Wrapped bodies make this tough. Sharpen the end of a wire. Bend the point end into a small "J". Insert the wire point on the off side and gently push it into the mount. Drill a hole in a plaque and insert the ire through it. Pull the bird up to the plaque. Cut the wore leaving about an inch protruding. Bend the cut off end into an "L" and staple it flush to the panel back.

3. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

Sort of like that, but here are some refinements since you never know if the body was wrapped well enough to securely anchor a wire.

Sharpen a wire and force it completely through the body from the back toward the show side. Bend it into a long, narrow U shape. For a teal the "legs" on the U should be close to 1 1/2" long. Pull it back toward the body and stop just as the sharpened prong touches the skin. Take a very sharp Exacto blade, like a #11, and make a short incision between the legs of the U. Part the feathers and hold them out of the way with pins and masking tape or carding, pull the U firmly into the body, and then - making SURE the feathers and the edges of the skin are well out of the way and protected - apply a little bit of hot glue to fuse the wire to the excelsior. Don't get it on the feathers or the skin! Press the glue down flat with a wet finger if you need to.
    Once it cools, remove the tape, pins, etc, and gently fluff the feathers back into place. You probably wont need to sew up the cut since the dry skin will have a memory.