1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Using a Rugger?

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by ada2453, Apr 26, 2015.

1. I'm doing my first rug. It's a wolf rug. I've done many game heads so mounting the head is no problem but I'm a little nervous about sewing the felt and backing on to make the rug. I was wondering if I should just send it to a person that does that? Does anyone have any advice on this? Is it pretty spendy to send it out and how can I find someone that does it? Any advice would be helpful.

2. WildlifeLady

WildlifeLady Member

Ohio
    Northern Pines-Wholesale rugging-$32 foot-24 colors-231-937-4696-Michigan

3. I'll give them a call. Thanks!

4. Rugging is not hard once you learn how. time consuming and not to fun maybe. Get RJ simmington's DVD from Research Mannikins. Its a good one!

5. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

With that DVD and a good leather sewing machine, I have done very good on rugs. If you plan on doing a few a year then I'd get the DVD and a good sewing machine. If just one or two every now and then, I'd send them to a rugger. Also If I was swamped, I'd send them out.

6. Sounds good. Thanks for the help!

7. I'm in this pickle as well but even more behind the learning curve.... I wet tan most everything in house.

Some things I do send out though. Bears and such... Anyway. With this I'm a bit lost. I want to do all the mounting myself so where do I send it to be tanned and what method do I ask for? I'm assuming I get a dry tan, rehydrate the face and mount that then ship to a rugger?

8. Duckslayr

Duckslayr Active Member

You've got it! Send to your favorite tannery to dry tan, then mount head when it gets back. I let my rugger sow all the holes so it doesn't have waves or ripples (the rugger I use charges extra depending on how many repairs there are) do your finish work after it gets back from the rugger so it isn't damaged in shipping.

9. Matt

Matt Active Member

Michael Shipman does an outstanding job and he will do everything or just the rugging.

10. Harvestmoontaxi

Harvestmoontaxi Lake of the woods walleyes

Northern Pines, high quality professional business!

11. I prefer to hydrate the whole hide. I can get a better stretch in order to pull hide semantically and to cut and sew any folds.