1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Mounting Turkeys

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by turkeyshooter, Apr 26, 2015.

1. turkeyshooter

turkeyshooter Member

Cannot make my mind up. Help me. Leg or breast incision and why? Wire all the way through or bondo method on wings and legs, Why? and Remove tail fan & feet. Why? Please help me decide which methods you like best and why you like that particular method. Also best method for preserving the feet and brand you prefer. Thanks in advance. :-\

2. Shawn73

Shawn73 Active Member

I skin leg to leg. Take the legs and tail off. I like to inject and paint my feet before hand. I wire my wings.

3. I skin leg to leg also. I remove the tail and also inject the feet and paint them before hand. I wire the wings with 6 gauge wire.

4. AngryDrake

AngryDrake New Member

I was wondering on wiring my self. I was told 8 or ten gauge..possibly ten for wings 8 for feet? But it looks like you guys use 6 for wings? How bout for feet? And is 6 gauge hatf to bend/ manipulate position?, I imagine once its set it stays in place!

5. turkeyshooter

turkeyshooter Member

Angry Drake, I am sure he means 6 GA for legs and probably 10ga for wings I have found to be plenty. ;)

6. turkeyshooter

turkeyshooter Member

Well I am leaning that way myself right now as I would like to position the feet and paint them first. Do you guys or gals use drumsticks or wrap your legs? I have had some trouble using the bondo method where you insert a 2" to 2 1/2" wire bend into the say 3/4" pre-drilled holes with a leg being somewhat loose with play in it after the bondo has set up. Not sure what I am doing wrong there, but I am about ready to go back to wiring them. May take a bit longer but seems like you will get a more stable turkey using the Harry Whitehead type method. I have about 6 different videos and they all do them different. :-\

7. JerseyJays

JerseyJays Well-Known Member

I do leg to leg incision,
    reason: to remove the legs and put them on the form before the skin... helps make sure everything is level.
    I bondo the wires in on the legs and wings. (for wings I cut a hole under the scaps to put bondo through, I also remove some foam to give the leg and wing bones some clearance to get closer to the body and sit in the pockets.
    reason: easier, plenty strong
    I remove the tail and feet so I can put them on before the skin and see everything is level and posed properly Before the skin goes on .. I also make the tail removable on strutting mounts for easy tansportation, maybe I'll make a demo on my next bird to show how, won't be til next year tho.

8. JerseyJays

Here's a shot of a bird with legs and tail in position to get things balanced..[​IMG]

9. JerseyJays

By the way, my drumsticks were way too thick. I redid them before mounting... (I wrap my drumsticks with cotton as you can see)

10. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

!0 gauge for neck, 12 gauge for wings, 6 gauge for legs. If you get the DVDs from Taxidermy Training Unlimited and Tim Jordan, you will have all these questions answered and demonstrated for you.

11. AngryDrake

AngryDrake New Member

Where are you getting your cotton wraps!!!??? I was told tractor supply but when I went there all they had was more of a clothy tape not a true cotton wrap. I was told by multiple people they carry it for wrapping cattle leg injuries etc?!

12. JerseyJays

I just picked up cotton batting in hobby shops like acmoore and michaels.. I bet even Walmart has it. It's used to make quilts,etc.

13. dablaw

dablaw Member

leg to leg,Tail comes off,legs come off and are all cast with wire inand drumsticks molded..socket with bondo for wings and legs which i do on all birds..wings split all the way to the last tip and ALL meat and tendons removed...No caulk..just a few tricks, and a wave of my magic knife and walla!! just my way and has worked well for me

14. turkeyshooter

turkeyshooter Member

Thanks and I do have the Tim Jordan and Taxidermy Unlimited videos. Also have at least 4 more. Like I said. All seem to be a bit different on how they arrive at the finished product. Just appreciate all the input in helping me make up my mind. Thanks again. :)

15. Taxidermy is just like nascar racers, They all have the same car but have different set ups to help them drive.

I do belly cut and or leg to leg, depends on my mood.
    Comp birds detach legs so I can paint ahead of time, customer birds legs stay attached. No drum sticks, Never see them. I use duct tape to wrap wire to leg bone, 3/16 steel wire most birds, Comp birds get 1/4"
    Wings 12 GA , I bondo wire into body.
    Tails disconnect as for transporting them, comp bird are built right in.

I make my own necks just make sure you have the right amount of necking , remember to include freeze dried head in measurement ,,12 to 13"

Gregg Ielfield

16. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Sorry, I missed that part. I use a little of every DVD. I bondo all birds wing wires to the form and the same with the legs. Detach tail and legs and get those ready beforehand. Freezedry head.