1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Could use some critique on first bird

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by bcraneful, Apr 27, 2015.

1. bcraneful

bcraneful New Member

I could really use some critique on my first bird. I have been staring at this bird for so long it is just a blur now. I feel like something just doesnt look right to me?? Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance for your help

Attached Files:

• 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      56.3 KB
      Views:
  2. bcraneful

bcraneful New Member

Here is another view

Attached Files:

• 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      61.3 KB
      Views:

3. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

Mainly, the neck is too long and the scapulars are too puffy.

[​IMG]

4. Nice reference pictures Nancy. Are those live birds or mounts?

5. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

Those are all live birds.

6. Pattyboy

Pattyboy New Member

also keep in mind to have a s shape in the neck as well your secendarys look spread out too far
    good work i wish my first bird looked that good yours is way better than my first ball of greese with some feathers haha keep it up!

7. bcraneful

bcraneful New Member

Thanks everyone for the comments they are all very helpful. I took the " premade kneck" that I bought and it had no curve in it. That is why I am assuming that the neck appears too long. I will put a S curve in it next time. Thanks for that hint! Also the I agree the secondaries do look a little spread. Thank you all for your comments now its time to apply the critique given. Thanks again

8. Ted

Ted Member

Make sure your shoulder bones attach near the front of the form. I think sometimes the forms have the sockets too far back. Play with a plucked bird and see how the shoulders attach.

Overall, are you kidding me? That is excellent for a first bird. I hate mallards and hope to never mount another one!

9. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

also get some blue or green painters tape...regular masking tape is going to be hard to get off without doing damage and leaving glue residue

10. clschake

clschake New Member

I'm a beginner also and would love to see new pics after the adjustments.