1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

African scenes

Discussion in 'Wildlife Artwork and Crafts' started by Studio106, Jul 4, 2007.

1. Studio106

Studio106 New Member

I am posting three paintings that I finished recently on a hippo skull and it's jaw bones. What do you think? The lion was harder than I thought it would be, but I think I nailed it. Give me your opinions, good and bad. Thanks for looking and hope you enjoy.

2. Nina Lukaszewicz

Nina Lukaszewicz Outdoor Dreams Taxidermy

Very nice..what kind of paints?

3. TRAPPERGIRL

TRAPPERGIRL Proud Member-Taxidermy M.A.F.I.A. & Taxinet Clique

they look great -- neat idea

4. Studio106

Studio106 New Member

I'm sorry Nina (which is also my sister's name) that it took me so long to get back to you, but I was out celebrating the fourth. They are basic acrylic paints. If I can successfully download a closer picture of the lion, I would like you to critique the hair. There is something that I don't like about it, but I can't put my finger on it. Don't worry about feelings being hurt. Hope everyone has a great fouth!

5. Nina Lukaszewicz

Nina Lukaszewicz Outdoor Dreams Taxidermy

Studio, There's nothing I can critique about that painting. It's awesome!

6. Sometimes I wonder why some people on this site are taxidermist. You are an amazing artist. I would think you could make a lot of money with your art. However, since your art is that good I'm sure your taxidery is high quality also. That painting looks great, I wouldn't change anything.

7. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

They look great, but I like the elephant the best. Love the sunset and reflection ;)

8. T+T

T+T New Member

my two cents...............dont quit your day job :p

9. T+T

T+T New Member

HACK you have the talent of a finisher

TNT

10. Studio106

Studio106 New Member

Finisher? Finisher?!! How dare you sir, I have never finished anything in my life! Thanks for the input, but I'm still not satisfied with it. Maybe I'll take a break from it for awhile. I would love to see some more scrimshaw work. That is one thing that I would love to try, but never have. The elephant and lion on the gun handles are amazing.

11. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman $90 for your fur made into trapper hat or mitts!

The reason why is because there are LOTS of talented artists out there :) This is NOT knocking anyone's artistic talent here, but I'm sure you've heard of the 'starving' artist and that artists are a dime a dozen. VERY VERY few make it in the art world and so they choose other professions to get them by. The same is true for musicians. My sister has an extraordinary voice and can play sever instruments VERY well. She is a mom, wife and advertiser...lol

That being said, the paintings are AWESOME :)

12. T+T

T+T New Member

THAT WAS TOO FUNNY? i have seen the lion in person as i work with studio106. if anyone has talent he does! see ya at the shop "studio106"

13. PA

PA Well-Known Member

two suggestions on your lion from a couple minutes of looking.

The first is that I believe the forehead is a little long, kinda like it is a balding lion, and higher on one side than the other. I fully realize that lions have a lot of variation, but the proportion of forhead is a bit too much for a visually appealing lion.

The second observation is that the chin is too pointed. If you look at the angle of the forhead with that of the muzzle, the angle is almost a 90 degree angle, while yours is closer to 110 degrees.

See this photo http://molopo.com/L40webz.jpg

14. AndyH

AndyH New Member

Studio,
    I'm certainly not an authority on art or lions, but I think I might see the "something" you don't like about the hair.
    The lion's hair almost looks like he stepped out of the shower a few minutes ago. It sort of has a in-the-process-of-drying-hair look. Is that it?
    Very nice work!

15. Turkey Creek

Turkey Creek Member

Very nice work! I like the elephant the best as well. The lion looks almost "mowhawkish", maybe that is the little thing that makes it less appealing.

Chris

16. My comment was not meant to be negative in any way. I can't believe that people are not willing to buy some of the art that I have seen on this site. I would just think that more money could be made in the art community than in the taxidermy field. I understand about branching out into other fields. I'm a police officer, gun shop owner and a taxidermist. None of which go together. We all have to make ends meet. I apologize to Studio if he took anything negative from my post.

17. Studio106

Studio106 New Member

Hey everyone- thanks for the critiques. I will agree with Andy H and Turkey creek. It does look a little mohawkish and like he stepped out of the shower. I think the mohawk description nailed it right on the head. After working on something for awhile things don't jump out at you as much as a quick observation. Thanks for figuring it out. As for PA, I don't think you know what the heck your talking about. I'm just kidding!! I used a picture of a lion that my client gave me for reference, but he wanted the mane to be fuller, so I improvized the mane. I know what you mean about variences in lions. We have discussions on anatomy constantly, and a few dissagreements here and there. The angles are right on the money as far as what he gave me for reference. It was kind of hard to tell how far to bring the hair down on the forehead- maybe not enough? I do really appreciate your input though. It's nice to get other peoples ideas. Thanks everyone-

18. Riggs

Riggs New Member

NC
    They all look great, be proud.

19. elkevo

elkevo Tailgate Bucks

Yes! the art work is very nice and with the sunsets like in Africa, a good picture to display on them old bones. The Lion I think could also use a little more lighter hair color like maybe the sunset is hitting on it also to brighten it up with a touch of glare from the sun shinning on it. These are good paintings and Thanks for the posting of them here.

Steve

20. Lisa M

Lisa M Swing like no one is watching...lol

Wow this is an old post...thank you elkevo for finding it.

Studio...they are all beautiful! Looking at the elephant...it looks like you might have laminated a picture on the bone...it looks that realistic! Very nice work. I don't see anything "wrong" with the lion at all. I also like the cat in the tree...nice little touch. ;)

Have you changed these at all? There were several suggestions...what, if anything, did you decide to change?