1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

So, what do you think of this turkey? (live bird)

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Nancy C, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

Those of you who have known me for any length of time probably know that I developed the breed of turkeys that now goes by the name "Penciled Palms" or, as I call them, just penciled turkeys. They have been very popular and they have sold all over the US so I'm no longer worried about some disaster wiping all of them out.
    It's time to move on. All but three of my penciled turkeys have been sold. One of those three is an old, multi-bearded geezer who is destined to be prepped for taxidermy when he moults out later this year. The other two are a jake and an old hen that I'm keeping just for posterity.

So ... this is my new project: Introducing the Smoked Silver color phase of heritage turkey.

[​IMG]

The males and females look much alike in this variety and one thing that I've noticed is that they have much more durable plumage than the penciled turkeys. They look good for most of the year, whereas the poor penciled turkeys look like total crap by March.
    I believe they breed true, but more research is still needed before I can be 100% sure, so .... a couple more years, give or take.
    Wish me luck! The people that have seen these birds in person have been very impressed by their appearance and uniformity.

2. taxidermyfun

taxidermyfun New Member

Very nice.

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Pretty bird. Good luck!

4. alan webfoot

alan webfoot New Member

nancy your wealth of bird knowledge is humbling and helpful ,,didn't know you developed a strain of turkeys, that tom is beautiful.

5. nina5150

nina5150 Active Member

Awwww.so cool..

6. txoutdoors

txoutdoors Active Member

nancy your wealth of bird knowledge is humbling and helpful ,,didn't know you developed a strain of turkeys, that tom is beautiful.

X2! Appreciate the advise you have given over the years. Cool bird. Good luck with them.

Dan

7. Wingnut

Wingnut Member

Common, Nancy!! Quit taking pictures of your mounts and sending them along as "Live" bird pics! Really, a live turkey!!! LOL!

8. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

Cool Bird Nancy

9. DL

DL Well-Known Member

Striking bird.
    Now could you do all bird taxidermist a favor? Breed a Wood Duck with skin as tough as a Meganser. You will be inducted into the Taxidermists Hall of Fame for that. We all would be indebted to you.

10. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

I'm with DL! And while we're making requests. .could you get us a Turkey the size of a pheasant. Thanks in advance! :D

11. Randy Miller

Randy Miller Active Member

Oh my, what a beautiful bird. Here is a bearded hen I mounted last year, sorry for the crummy pic.
    [​IMG]

12. DL

DL Well-Known Member

Ditto Brooke, as long as we can charge the same.