1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

gap in back of fish

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by gary04, Apr 29, 2015.

1. It's simple right? Do it to the best of your ability and strive to get better.? The answer is yes and no.

For those that have won major competitions, do you put that into every mount for every customer? If you are a Full-time shop, my bet is, No you don't !!

The simple answer is... We all have different abilities and skill sets and We market to different levels of customers.
    A car is a car, be it a Yugo or Lamborghini, It gets you from one place to another. A fish mount is a fish mount be it gap or no gap. It's a dead fish on the wall some look better and some cost more and not everyone can afford it.

2. dougp

dougp Active Member

Hhhhmmm....lots of interesting comments here.

This has always been a very simple issue for me. When a customer brings a fish for mounting we discuss his options. My basic pricing is for a 1 sided wall mount, which I explain, is accurate in 2 dimensions. The length and heighth [back to belly] is accurate. The width or girth is larger. I always want a gap in the back. Matching the exact girth on a 1 side wall mount is NOT reflected in my pricing. I also use only 1 eye but do recommend a reverse curve keeping head and tail closer to the wall.

I also mention that all options are available for additional pricing options. I try to offer whatever fish service a client prefers at a price and profit that will allow me to complete his mount to my standards.

I do this for a living and for a profit in an attempt to please people who may have different requirements and tastes. It isn't difficult to include another eye, or finishing on the backside, or seam closure, or whatever, as long as it's priced to reflect a change in my basic wall mount.

I try not to be too rigid in the available ooptions to my customer as long as I meet my minimum shop standards.

DougP

3. Duckslayr

Duckslayr Active Member

That's what I thinking. If you want to compare this topic to game heads, it would be how do you finish the back board. Some guys carefully trim the hair and felt the backboards. Some guys staple it down and hang it up. That would be a closer comparison.

4. Brian W

Brian W Active Member

Well, got another good one on the same subject beat down over a gazillion posts here and in the archives.....lol. And Marty, you've got a bunch of posts there bud, so your attitude can't be that good according to your theory...... ;D...and Jeff, I just dont see that Curmudgeon word used much but had to laugh and did locate the beer one drinks under that label..... ;D

Attached Files:

5. Jeff Lumsden

Jeff Lumsden Well-Known Member

OMG that Curmudgeon beer pic is awesome! I blew it up and the fine print reads "Strong beer for arrogant footers".

6. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    I like a tight seam at the back, comercial,
    My bass I carve with a hard curve head next to wall,
    One eye, detail on back side seam
    Salminoids tight seam two eyes and charge for it,
    The salmonoid customers seam to be really picky, in my area, assinine? Ha ha
    Lot of hi end banker types
    But I'm a firm believer in measuring what I get and delivering the same.
    Call it assinine , or what ever
    Just how I do it
    Still not sure what otd means

Carl

7. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

But my posts quota is WAY down Brian! Also like my sex life, I go in spurts with my Taxi.net entertainment time too... Btw, I don't know if you've been around long enough on Taxi.net, but ironically the original Curmudgeon - "Cur" was one of the first great talented taxidermists to leave here too - lol! "Curmudgeon" actually posted quite often! lol ;)

8. Harum

Harum Active Member

George,
    I never saw this as an argument thread. Just people with interesting ways of doing things, but Marty, are you really that freaking stupid ;D

9. FishArt

Lol my question Pete is how would I know?? ;)

10. Jeff Lumsden

Jeff Lumsden Well-Known Member

Ok this thread has to many laughing out louds! Good one Pete N Marty... ;)

11. den007

den007 Active Member

I used to argue more with Marty than most. The infamous "wrestling challenge" was a direct result of this. Back in the day when defending Buck Rodgers was a thing I believed in, I thought slamming the slammers was the thing to do. Sometimes, you just have to do the development of a project with sane folks. I now believe Marty is one of the voices most in agreement with me on many things………..a post of his even convinced me to use Mars Red on gills instead of Gill Red. We have never met, but I feel like we have.

Bottom line is……….karate will kick wrestling any day.

12. FishArt

I must've pimped/punked you back then Dennis! I've always used a tweaked gill red for my gills - lol!

(I DO use a thinned Mars Red for flesh tones though!)

13. Thats the best come back line ever !

14. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Same here!

15. Brian W

Brian W Active Member

Holy Schnikes!!!......I told Marty I would NEVVER bring that up again (really too funny to not revive though). Sorry Marty, your former adversary brought it up this time..... ;D...... Someone find that thread and get ready for your sides to split.......the good news is both Denny and Marty are good friends and they can laugh about it NOW......

16. twinrivers

twinrivers Active Member

A little sculpt epoxy and a Mac-z scaler goes a long way. Minimal time and a nice looking non-show side.

17. I agree with you there twinrivers.