1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Remove fat after Tanning?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Kaiada, Apr 30, 2015.

1. Kaiada

Kaiada New Member

I recently completed my first tanning project using Trubond1000B. I had several small pelts and a raccoon. All the other pelts turned out fine, but after tanning and while stretching the skin I found that the raccoon still had patches of fat on his back and sides. I thought I had got it all, but I'm forced to admit I didn't. Is there any way to remove the fat after tanning, or is the skin unsalvageable? Would any steps (especially the degreaser) even be repeatable after tanning? There is no visible signs or smell of rot as of now. He is still drying and hasn't been tanned for long. Where all the fat was taken off the tan worked great.

I'll be careful not to make this mistake again--but is there any way to save this pelt?

Thanks for your help.

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

What was your degreasing process before tanning?

3. Kaiada

Kaiada New Member

Trubond has a 3-6 hour soak in one of their chemicals. Not quite sure what its made of, but looks a lot like dish soap.

4. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Did you agitate the skin in the degreaser a lot, or just let it soak? Coons take a lot of degreasing, more than the directions say to most of the time, the longer the skin is kept in the acid pickle with a degreaser, the better. the acid will break down the fat, and this normally takes several days. If you rush, you get a smelly /fatty skin. You can return the half tanned skin back into a pickle with degreaser, and agitate the skin a lot until fat and odor is gone, then tan again.

5. twinrivers

twinrivers Active Member

It should be fine. Just pull or scissor the chunks of fat off and break the hide as it dries.