1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Using Fake Trout and Salmon Heads

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Primetines, May 2, 2015.

1. Primetines

Primetines New Member

I am doing my first Brown and am wondering why the fake head is needed? has anyone mounted a salmon or trout with the natural head, and if so how did it go?
    i am also wondering how mounting (not painting) differs from other fish, and what is the proper way to remove the head when using a fake head?

2. Monty Artrip

Monty Artrip Active Member

I am sure this will start another huge debate. Most of us who use them(and fins), do so to prevent grease bleed and shrinkage. I have seen some cold water fish mounted with the real head that were said to be grease free but closer inspection said otherwise. Best bet is to learn how to use them and you won't regret it.

3. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

First of all they're called RE-PRO HEADS, not FAKE HEADS. They were cast from a real head to make a re-pro ( Reproduced ) head. Yes you can mount with a "Natural" head if you want to put in the time to clean it well and then you will have to seal it and rebuild any shrinkage and hope that you didn't miss anything that will produce oil bleed in the future. Taxidermists who have moved forward with the trade improvements have made themselves familiar with the process of casting and using them and have improved the quality of their work. Trout and salmon are notorious for having imbedded oils and fat deposits that are nearly impossible to remove. If you're starting out in this trade do yourself a favor and learn how to cast and use these heads and fins to produce a top notch mount that will stand the test of time. Good luck in your first attempt, and like Monty, I expect some debate here lol. JL

4. I agree with JL n MA , learn how to use and / or make repro heads, particularly for trout , and if its your first fish and you don't want to end up chucking it out . You want a trophy that will last the test of time, not something that's looks ok for a few weeks then starts to shrivel , discolour and wrinkle. Don't take the risk, especially if your doing it for someone else , go repro. Oh n call em fake heads if ya want.( joke) ;)

5. jimss

jimss Active Member

I only do a handful of fish mounts so have always bought repro heads that are the approximate size of the one on the head I'm mounting. Although many repros are tough to tell apart from a real head I still put additional detail into my fish heads. Anyway, take measurements of the heads as specified in the taxidermy supply catalogs and you'll be set...unless you want to take the time to cast and make your own.

6. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

JL, I disagree. I don't know how there could ever be any debate on this one. For anyone who's ever done cold water fish, this is a no brained. Remember, we're the old guard who've seen grease bleed and paint jobs sloughing off due to oil seepage. Most looked horrendous as the head was often lumpy from the mache.

Monty, I'm with you. I encourage my clients to get a complete repro because if I skin mount it, it's going to cost the same and will have a repro head, fins, and tail anyway.

7. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

I've done hundreds and hundreds with the real head and have never used artificial fins. It works for me! I also believe in bigfoot so take it how you want to.

8. AnglingArtisan

AnglingArtisan Well-Known Member