1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Identification Help Needed

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by CommanderShepard, May 3, 2015.

1. CommanderShepard

CommanderShepard Fear not your mortality.

Greetings, my fellow bone-collectors. I am in need of some seasoned assistance.

A good friend of mine's grandfather recently passed, and his estate is being divided and sold. In his possession was a unique collection of skulls. While most of the others were called for, no one seemed to want these three beautiful birds. My buddy asked if I would perhaps be interested in getting them. I have not yet, but I am curious as to the identity of these birds, as I believe them to be mislabeled. I had my friend send me pictures, and I was hoping that someone may help me to properly identify them.

In respective order, they were labeled as a Hammertop Hornbill, a Pied Hornbill, and a Red-Billed Hornbill. No distinction was given to gender, and my friend seems to think the labels may have gotten mixed during one of their grandfather's moves. As I haven't yet had the pleasure of working with any hornbills or birds of this nature, I humbly request some assistance. Yes, they legally obtained them. No, I do not own them, so I cannot sell to you what I don't own. Strictly looking for identification assistance, please.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Bottom one is not a hornbill. Looks to be a type of stork. Possibly a very young shoebill but I haven't looked for pictures of one yet.

3. Orkman-X

Orkman-X New Member

first one is the african pied hornbill (tockus fasciatus)
    second is the redbilled (Tockus erythrorhynchus)

last one seems to be Scopus umbretta, hence the hint in the name Hamerkop

4. CommanderShepard

CommanderShepard Fear not your mortality.

Thank you all very much for your help in properly labeling these. I'll get the info passed along right away!

5. Jakemish

Jakemish Member

Idaho
    The bottom might ba an open billed stork, its bill just might not be very open.

6. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Scopus umbretta for the last would do it I think. It's not a hornbill but a hamerkop stork as Orkman pointed out. Also known as hammerkop, hammerkopf, hammerhead, hammerhead stork, umbrette, umber bird, tufted umber, or anvilhead. The names will keep you guessing.