1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Slippage on zebra ear. How to Fix?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by jkjohn, May 5, 2015.

1. jkjohn

jkjohn New Member

Guys I just got a zebra back from tannery its in good condition other than I am having some major slippage on the top half of one of the ears. Ill attach a picture but can yall give me some ideas on how I can possibly help repair the ear to make this a presentable piece.
    Thank you ,
    jk
    [​IMG]

2. Randy Miller

Randy Miller Active Member

3. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Hard to tell what's going on there, looks like its open at seam.

4. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

I does look more like a blown out ear

5. Looks like the epidermis on the inner ear slipped to me.... Maybe some 5 min epoxy,,,, then dab with a cotton ball as the epoxy kicks. Paint to match and mount with that ear in the back position..!

6. jkjohn

jkjohn New Member

Thanks for the advise guys.This is epidemis slippage not a blow out ear.I m just not sure what route to take for trying to repair in some hair to blend and make look decent

7. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    You can snip hair from another part of the Zebra, and glue it into place on the ear. Use the intact ear as your reference point for hair length, color marking pattern, and texture, and snip, snip, snip accordingly.

Use a good woodworker's/carpenter's epoxy, and glue sections at a time ... not the whole thing in one shot. Layer the hair as it actually grows. Gently lay in down as you go. Don't worry too much about the hair length at this point.

After the glue is set and dried, you can further trim the hair to proper length. I use an electric clippers with the blade guard setting deep, revealing less of the actual cutting blades, giving less chance of removing too much hair.

Also, if this slippage is on the front of the ear, turning the ears rearward instead of at the alert, will help lessen the appearance of any repair.

The cotton ball method is a weak one at best ... especially when you have actual Zebra hair right there!

Good luck to you.

John.

8. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I think I came up with the cotton ball idea but I have to endorse what John says here. Cotton is "OK" for fuzzy critters, but the zebra needs hair. Personally, I'd use Apoxie and cripple it with a coarse stiff bristle brush. Then I'd in bed a few hairs in layered rows to give the appearance and airbrush it when cured.

9. Are you doing a mount or just a rug? If you are doing a rug, that won't be a problem. If you are doing a mount, then it will be a problem. I am soaking up a skin that I will be rugging as I type this and as soon as I can turn the ears back right side out, I will see what the condition of the ears are. If the inside of the ears are good, I will remove the inner skin and you will be in business. I've done what George said, but nothing is better than the real thing. It may be later in the day before I can invert the ears, but I will let you know. Send me your address and I will fix you up.

10. A.st.

A.st. New Member

NW
    This idea may be out of the ball park, but could you find synthetic hair anywhere like at a beauty supply store? there are so many fake hair extensions and hair ties with faux hair on them and all kinds of things, white may not be too hard to find? then cut and glue into place like the ways that others suggested. Do you know anyone who own a white horse? haha! find one in a field, bring carrots and scissors... they wont miss that inner ear hair ;)