1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Casting and molding a fish head

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by rese3060, May 8, 2015.

1. rese3060

rese3060 New Member

I have a fish that I would like to cast the head. I have never done this before. Is alginate the best thing to use to make a mold of the head and what do I use to make the replacement head? Any advice on this would be appreciated.

2. You can go to the search tab on here and do a search on this. I typed in "make fish head" and 31 pages of posts came up, I typed in "cast fish head" and 20 pages of posts came up. Then just start reading and you will learn everything you need to know.

But most of the pros on here use Bondo to cast the their heads and then use Bondo to make theirs heads with as well.

Good Luck
    Rich

3. This can be done many ways. Alginate works fine. There's also the bondo and silicone methods. As far as what product to cast the head I love bondo. If you are going to use alginate stay away from plastics like IE3030. It can be used but the moisture in the alginate can give you some troubles.