1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

A bit of slip.

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Non-Typical_IL, May 10, 2015.

1. Non-Typical_IL

Non-Typical_IL Member

Have a WT cape, that at the end of the tanning process slipped a bit under the white spot on the neck. In reviewing the process and the steps that I took, I'm going to wager that the salting was my issue. My own fault, I didn't pull it off of the salting table and hang it, but it was there for about 48 hours (my table is solid) and so the bottom side of the cape would have still had moisture. I don't leave them there for that long before hanging. The cape is mine, one I shot this fall luckily.
    During the tanning process, there were a few hairs in the solution, but when I was getting ready to oil the cape is when it happened. Otherwise, I have found any other issues with the cape, just few places that need a stitch or 2.
    As this is my cape, and still a learning process. is there something I can do to still make it look decent? Yes the slip is in a visable spot. What practices do some of you guys/ladies utilize in such spots. It's not very large. When I first saw it as I was about to oil, I threw the whole thing back into the freezer, but friend of mine talked me into pulling it back out to oil and practice on. (It was in there only about 12 hours)
    Am open to suggestions. Even if thing only sits in my basement. LOL, Painting? I do not think cutting out and resewing new hide in would work, I do not believe the hair would match? Not sure. The oiled cape is in the freezer. Glue new hair on?
    If it was a large area....I might consider just trashing the hide. But like I said, it's my 9 point and not a customers.

Thank you!

2. big dan

big dan Member

utah
    Post pics so we can see what you are working with. Are you able to cut out the slipped area and sew?

3. Non-Typical_IL

Non-Typical_IL Member

I can. Thanks big dan, didn't even think of it!!!
    I'm sure I'll have some extra hide to use

4. J Cook

J Cook Cook Taxidermy

Cut damaged area out in a football shape and sew back together. No need to sew a piece in.

5. Yes. And re measure before you order your form.