1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Alligator snapping turtle tan for full body mount.

Discussion in 'Reptile Taxidermy' started by young taxidermist, May 10, 2015.

1. young taxidermist

young taxidermist New Member

I am in the process of mounting a large 100+ lb Alligator snapping turtle. Have close to 12 hours in him in 2 sessions and he is now ready to be tanned and mounted. I have only mounted 1 turtle previously and it was small so only dry preserved. What type of tan would anyone recommend for a turtle of this size? I've researched reptitan, ez100 and also kicked around the denatured alcohol idea but either way submurbing a turtle with a shell length of nearly 30''and 45lbs cleaned and fleshed is going to be costly. Any help? I'm really at a loss on which route to go and id like to have this guy mounted up in the next few weeks. I already have 1 small spot on the leg that started to slip so I want something that will last a lifetime.

2. huntingbig

huntingbig Member

Since nobody seems to want this one I will tell you what I use, after he is thoroughly cleaned, soak him in a solution of one box of 20 mule team borax with a bit of dawn and enough water to cover him for about 8 hours to remove the blood slime and funk, then place him in a pickle, pickle I use is about 1 oz oxalic acid, 4 cups salt for every 2 gallons of water keep ph around 1.5 to 2, soak him for 4 to 5 days then neutralize with baking soda and mount. I have done several 80 to 120 lb turtles and a lot of alligators this way and have had excellent results with it over the years.

3. young taxidermist

young taxidermist New Member

Thanks Hunting big. I'm not sure why i dint get an alert that you commented but I sure do appriciate it. I wound up speaking with a buddy that regulalry does reptiles and he said he has had great results with krowtann, so thats what I went with. I strengthened my mixture a little more than recommended and left for 5 days before neutralizing and he came out great. Fleshing after the krowtann was a dream. The excess membrane almost turned spongy and lifted making it much easier to flesh afterwards. By the way, I noticed you're from LA also. Whats your business name and location?

4. huntingbig

huntingbig Member

I'm in between Madisonville and Ponchatoula, Business name is All Species Taxidermy, I pressure wash them same as alligators.

5. Rizzo

Rizzo Member

Hunting big
    Can the process you stated be used on common snapping turtles also?

6. huntingbig

huntingbig Member

Sure can Rizzo, they are basically the same, common snappers have a thinner skin than alligator snappers so they will pickle all the way through in less time.

7. Rizzo

Rizzo Member

Thanks

8. Is there anything in particular you need to do to "seal" the scutes so that they do not peel off?