1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Congratulations Mr. Joe Kish!

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by John Janelli, May 11, 2015.

1. John Janelli

John Janelli New Member

N.J.
    This is the glorious season for taxidermy champions what with all the state, regional and World shows either freshly behind or excitingly ahead of us. And then comes the time to honor those who have championed taxidermy for the rest of our industry to emulate, revere, respect and most of all, appreciate them. That champ for me has always been my very dear friend Joe Kish. To know Joseph Michael Kish is to have a direct line not just to one but to several eras of taxidermy that have spanned far more than just his lifetime. He is a virtual unnumbered page living textbook, an endless DVD if you will, with solid methodology, passion and, by inventing national competitions, created the very highest of standards that he himself has selflessly given to the rest of us. He tells like it is, like it or not, with such conviction and purpose that leaves most other contemporary luminaries in the dust. Forget for a moment his God given gifts of sculpting and accurately modeling faster than I can eat, his uncanny knowledge of wild raw anatomy that makes manikins shiver under a well pasted skin. Let me tell you, Joe has the extraordinary ability to see things in our industry well before they have occurred. Nothing psychic or anything like that at all. It has to do with his visionary capabilities in as much as he has written in countless articles in his own out of the box magazine, Taxidermy Review and of course others who have tried to imitate him. For Joe laid to rest once and for all the old axiom "Imitation is the highest form of flattery" and replaced it with "Imitation is the lowest forms of piracy". Yes, pun intended of course!
    Not knowing any of the acumen or protocol for awarding such a distinction, but when Kathy and Larry elected to bestow upon Joe Kish "The Life Time Achievement Award", they had no idea of the rippling effect this would have upon our industry. Like sonar sound waves deep under the ocean, Joe's achievements will now resonate well into the next century. Never can we repay this most dynamic husband and wife team of taxidermy for the never dimming light they just cast upon Joe Kish last week at the World Taxidermy Competitions. If there was ever any verbiage to describe The World Show it would be the line written by James L. Clark in his studio's brochure that went, "No apologies will be made for claims that are superlative." If you were there, you were apart of history being made. If you were not, you owe it to yourself to learn all there is about the man, the taxidermist and the icon, in Joe Kish.
    Congratulations of the highest order to you Joe, you deserve it, you earned it and now you must own it, for the rest of your life. For that and more we love you!

MixedupMel likes this.
  2. fishmaster

fishmaster Well-Known Member

My hat is off to larry and kathy for doing this presentation. Ken did a great job in putting it all together. It is well deserved to an incredibly talented guy.

MixedupMel likes this.

3. dougp

dougp Active Member

Well, I've never met Joe Kish but do feel that I know a bit about him. In the late 1970's he had a direct effect on some of my thinking on taxidermy through his publishing TAXIDERMY REVIEW magazine.
    I was grateful for the info that he provided in articles and especially his editorials.

Certainly one of the few people who will be remembered as an "icon" of our industry.

Congratulations Joe Kish.

Thanks for the thoughts you shared with me as I was building my business and career.

DougP

MixedupMel likes this.
  4. Instructor

Instructor Member

Jose! You are truly an Icon in our Industry.Congratulations!

Manny Chavez

MixedupMel likes this.
  5. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    Joe - my hero - has MORE than earned this accolade! Nicely written Johnny! Grazie!

MixedupMel likes this.
  6. grumpa

grumpa Active Member

Congratu;ations Joe! Many thanks for getting the ball rolling and the gears turning in so many of us old farts.

MixedupMel likes this.
  7. tat

tat Active Member

Congratulations Joe!!! from an old taxidermist in the old Jonas day's (down town Denver studio ) tried to find you this weekend show did not get to visit with you but got to talk to Denny I really wanted to let you know what you did for me back in the days of the first taxidermy competitions and so many years later I appreciated it , I know you where trying to educate me and it worked , Just an Old taxidermist saying thanks for your advice years ago I got it !!!!! and again Congratulations

MixedupMel likes this.
  8. JOHNNY B

JOHNNY B New Member

congrats on behalf of the GARDEN STATE TAXIDERMISTS ASSOCIATION

MixedupMel likes this.
  9. finazducks

finazducks EJ is not the only one to have two Wasco Awards

I have met Joe, many times and I'm proud to say he is My friend. Joe is one of the people who's words encouraged Me to keep trying. To say Joe is an Icon is an understaatement. He is a Mega Icon.
    Thanks Joe. The tribute to you is well deserved my friend.

MixedupMel likes this.
  10. Richard C

Richard C Well-Known Member

Joe
    Congratulations, well earned and deserved. You have been my idol in taxidermy since the early 70's when you judged my first ever mount in competition . A man well before his time in taxidermy. The guru of good taxidermy !

MixedupMel likes this.
  11. Rick Krane

Rick Krane Fish Taxidermist/ Judge/ Sculptor/ Instructor

My Mentors Mentor! What a thrill for me to again spend some time with Joe. This man is a class above and a wealth of knowledge and stories! What a treat we are in an industry where we can share with legends like Mr Joe Kish!

Rick Krane

[​IMG]

MixedupMel likes this.
  12. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

one of the living GREATS! still with us....congrats joe

MixedupMel likes this.
  13. TIMBUCK

TIMBUCK Active Member

Congrats Mr.Kish. Well earned sir. Still one of my favorite personalities in the Industry. Thanks for all you have done.

MixedupMel likes this.
  14. John Janelli

John Janelli New Member

N.J.
    Not taxidermy related, but true story anyway; Joe comes for a visit last July. We get up the next day and go check in on my mother two blocks down the street. Naturally she's in the kitchen and meets Joe for the very first time ever. "Ma, this is my friend Joe - Joe, this is my mother Anna." She hugs him like he's a long lost kid, then tells him he looks hungry and to sit down. She puts the coffee on then pulls two fresh trays from the oven of eggplant parm, looks at me and says "Go get the bread for Joe." To which I replied, "Ma, there's bread right there on the stove". It wasn't good enough, so she demands again to get Joe fresh bread. I gave up, can't argue with her, never could, so I tell Joe to come for a ride to Hoboken with me to my cousin Tony's bakery. Before Joe could stand up my mother, now a few decibels louder than she's been, demanded that I leave Joe right where he was, "...go get the bread and hurry up before the eggplant gets cold!" (I can't spell eggplant the way Mom says it in Italian, it just don't match up.) This was before 10:00 AM, lunch was a few hours away yet.
    Anyway, on the day I originally made the post here, I mentioned to Mom that Joe received the Life Time Achievement Award to which she matter of factually stated, "Why? He doesn't look old to me." She's been on the prowl ever since for an actual Hall Mark greeting card that had the words to the effect of "Congratulations on Your Life Time Achievement Award". Finally she's convinced there are none out there in CVS, Rite Aid, Walgreen's or Walmart for that matter. Not being internet user friendly at all, she asked for the next best thing, which is what you now see below...

[​IMG]

MixedupMel likes this.
  15. Carolin Brak-Dolny

Carolin Brak-Dolny Active Member

MR. KISH ....is a true Master. Congratulations! You are truly deserving of this honor.

MixedupMel likes this.
  16. Carolin Brak-Dolny

Carolin Brak-Dolny Active Member

MR. KISH ....is a true Master. Congratulations! You are truly deserving of this honor.

MixedupMel likes this.
  17. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Awesome ^^

MixedupMel likes this.
  18. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

Well Deserved Joe!

MixedupMel likes this.
  19. Joe Kish

Joe Kish Well-Known Member

Texas
    Mamma Mia Signora Janelli,

MixedupMel likes this.
  20. Mr. Kish, even though we have never met, your presence in our industry has definitely encouraged me to stay the course and never give up, your knowledge and dedication to the art of Taxidermy has been my biggest inspiration, thank you, congratulations and God bless.
    David Cavaretta

MixedupMel likes this.