1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Restored Rowland Ward African Lion from 1906

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by buckhunter, May 12, 2015.

1. buckhunter

buckhunter Member

UK
    I want to share this with all of you, I am a UK taxidermist and recently I have been doing a few restoration jobs on old pieces. I got this Lion skin in a couple of months ago and discovered it was mounted in 1906 by the famous London firm Rowland Ward Ltd. He is a big chap, measuring just short of ELEVEN FEET nose to tail! With the help of John Bellucci, I think that it most likely comes from the (in John's words) thorn scrub areas of what was British East Africa where Lions reached a far greater size than anything we see today! My work included a full clean to remove decades of dust and dirt, remodelling teeth, lips, gums, nose and eye lids, re-furring the muzzle and other bald spots on the head, sewing holes in the skin, recolouring the felt edging and repairing and strengthening the cotton backing. Here are some before and after pictures for you - I think he came out looking pretty handsome for a 109 year old!

Attached Files:

2. buckhunter

buckhunter Member

UK
    Closer view of the head

Attached Files:

3. mmwtdh

mmwtdh Member

Nice save...

4. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

ready for another 109 years! great restoration job

5. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    Turned out splendid! Nice work and great save, Patrick!

6. Coryell

Coryell Member

Sweet job. Thanks for sharing.

7. Dangitboy

Dangitboy Member

Well done!

8. buckhunter

buckhunter Member

UK
    Thank you all, and thank you John once again for your help identifying him! Delivered yesterday to two very happy customers.

9. saddlehorse_98

saddlehorse_98 Member

great job, sure was in terrible shape to start with.