1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

world taxidermy championships.

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by joker, May 13, 2015.

1. RichMO

RichMO Well-Known Member

Tim and Jerry...
    Great response to the whole issue. I thought the judging for the most part appeared fair but there is as we call it judge personalities to competitors, and the curb appeal factor. As for scores there needs to be some type of explanation as to why a point spread exist between the judges (not sure if it should be 4 or 8, but some criteria needs to be established). This is easy to handle as there is not that many discrepancies, and the judges along with the chairman can verify the scores and if there is a need modify them by a consenses.

While I knew that the otter had flaps it wasn't until the last couple of years that it was determined that an otter can smell underwater. For those that wonder how... Wildlife film maker Charlie Hamilton James: Otters have been filmed locating food by blowing a bubble of air out of the nose towards the objects in the water and sniffing it straight back in locating fresh and dead fish.

At the show in 2013 we all read about the show and judging and a lot of us thought the judging could have been different of the scores (i.e. 90,90,89) No prize awarded?? (simple fix throw out the low score). At this show there was multiple awards not given? (how many people know the cut off numbers are is this one of those speculative numbers), is this correct or should it be the best of the show? These are questions that have come up many times. Is the awards and criteria the same in the EU? The you have competitors that I heard say I won't be at another show that is judged but certain judges?? There are a lot of questions and I'm sure a lot of answers ......

If you don't know anatomy altering a form can be as bad. The criteria on the use of materials, and forms needs to be reviewed. Jerry, you are spot on....

Now the Otters.... Otters have been filmed locating food by blowing a bubble of air out of the nose towards objects in the water and sniffing it straight back in. Wildlife film-maker and seasoned Otter watcher Charlie Hamilton James has witnessed and Otter locating a fresh dead fish. So therefore the flaps do not stay closed all the time....

2. juli

juli Active Member

Perhaps the best solution is to have another level of competition. Like the doctorate level. LOL.
    I have only made my own form once. It was fun. I will do it again.
    I really liked your post Jerry. :)

3. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

They have the doctorate level juli. It's called "master of masters"

4. juli

juli Active Member

but is it open to anyone?I thought the master of masters was for award-winning master taxidermists only.??

5. Jerry Huffaker

That's correct, previous world champions and judges

6. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    Come on now Jerry don't be so hard on yourself, you do in fact "create" a nice looking tree. Lol

7. JEJ

JEJ Active Member

PA
    Very well said Jerry, really like your post putting things into perspective. I have yet to compete at the "world" level, but I do chuckle at the "holyer than thou" attitudes you can see come out. a lot of good points made on various posts here, but common, to compete at the master level does "everything" on your piece have to be made from scratch. I agree a master should have that ability, but do they have the time and resources? it also takes a lot of ability to drastically alter a commercial mannikan, and keep everything anatomically correct, cause lets face it, most are altered in many areas, shoulders, necks, eyes, mouths, etc, causing resculpturing of those areas to be still anatomically correct. And as stated, then does all catagories have to carve their own? Is a master a better master if they can sculpt a lifesize elk form vs. a quail body? come on people, get serious. I completely understand this is the best of the best (other than Masters of Masters), but if you have too many regulations in place the number of entries I feel would be greatly diminished, is that good for the show?

8. Carolin Brak-Dolny

Carolin Brak-Dolny Active Member

I chuckle at you people that buy a form, put a skin on it and call yourself masters. The point is the judges are ignoring self sculpted forms and open mouths that were totally made by competitors and scoring them as if that fact did not exist. And do you really think there is not a bias when the judge who is judging sees that you used his form? There is a long history of this in the deer head category.
    I know I am stirring the cesspool so let the crap fly. Why even bother to do anything creative? We should all just buy forms and keep the mouths closed. Why put any effort into doing anything unique?

9. Duckslayr

Duckslayr Active Member

A perfect illustration of why we end up with issues like this. One judge has a pet axe to grind, and suddenly any mount not meeting their self appointed standard is suddenly not only not worthy of a world title, but not even worthy to be called a master! We could just pull some guy off the street to do what you did Jerry. Shaking my head. Thanks for the view behind the curtain of the elitist judge mentality.

10. Jerry Huffaker

I will respond to the" judge who is judging a mount that he sculpted the form on."

Dawayne Dewey was one of the 3 judges who scored my sheep and of course one of the 5 who picked Best in the world.

He scored the sheep 88, and one of the problems he pointed out was a part of the form that needed to be added to , to make it more accurate. So in this case the advantage of using his form was erased because he knew what was wrong with the form anatomically and I hadn't corrected that spot.

So Again he scored the sheep 88 and then added 3 pts for artistic merit and presentation of the entire piece = 91 pts

11. Carolin Brak-Dolny

Jerry

I also got 88 from that same judge. but zero, zip , nadda on open mouth, self sculpted form or originality ....... MY POINT MADE.

12. Jerry Huffaker

Did you ask him why?

13. Carolin Brak-Dolny

No

I learned long ago when you question a judge the worse it gets,,,,,they remember you...... I am also sure I will suffer the repercussions from saying anything about judges on this forum. Sometimes you can not just hold it in.

14. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

The self appointed Bees Knees!

15. 1fish2fish

1fish2fish Well-Known Member

I thought the division was called the Master's Division, and the requirements were set by the completion organization. Do folks actually call themselves "Masters"?

16. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

How will they know it is yours? Isn't the taxidermists name hidden and only a number is given to prevent this sort of thing? If not, it should be!

Vic

17. Riverland

Riverland New Member

When you compete long enough you can tell who's stuff is who's. Sometimes it's better being a unknown.

18. RichMO

RichMO Well-Known Member

As for names NO they are not all hidden..... And yes the judges remember people and their style of mounts. I talked with a past judge and he verified he remembers those competing and comments.

19. Bottom line is, There should not be a constant gap in points from one judge to the other two. If there is the competition chair should address it.

20. Brian Reinertson

Brian Reinertson Well-Known Member

Iowa
    A question to the winners and so close to winners on this topic, how many hours did you have in your piece from concept to ready to show? Very curious about this, also please add if you made your form from scratch or used a stock form you altered. Reason being is how can a judge know it's his form if you altered the heck out of it?? The only form I can seriously pick out of a crowd for deer at least is a Meder form. I've been judged by world champs and they asked me what form I used during the critique and it was there's! If the nose, butts, mouth are cast and form is chopped up how in the world can they know?