1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

world taxidermy championships.

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by joker, May 13, 2015.

1. In the competition room there are no names on any entry until judgeing and ribbon placement is done. The card you see with the competitors name on it is the card that replaces the initial card with only the entry number and room location on it.

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Vic, you have to be realistic. Remember, judges aren't in a vacuum and competitors all have to go through registration. When an OMG mount arrives, the registration area is abuzz and word spreads quickly.

3. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

What can I tell you George?!!! I have never competed so I am very green and uneducated on this whole process, the rules and regulations, etc. I hope to change that this summer and enter my first competition ever. I fully expect to be crucified but that is OK. I will be there to learn. Mine certainly will not be an "OMG" mount so there will be no attention drawn to it and nobody knows me. If I don't enter I still want to attend if they have some seminars that are of interest to me.

Vic

4. TIMBUCK

TIMBUCK Active Member

WHAT??? You mean I've been calling you all these years for tips and advice and you don't even make your own screws or plywood??? DANGIT... That's it. Shut the shop down. I'm done. I need moment..
    LOL
    Awesome response Jerry.

5. rbear

rbear Well-Known Member

So when a master electrician or master plumber shows up at your house, do you expect them to bring home made wire and pipe? I have competed many times at the state level with forms I made. It is a lot of work for the few little point you can gain. Does it make a difference in the score? For me it did. I've gone from a 2nd to a 1rst before. Live within the rules that are given you. If you want to go above and beyond them you should be reworded for doing something extra. But if you screw up the something extra you should have to pay for lack of knowledge or skill.

6. I didn't keep track of the hours in my piece. All I can tell you is it took near two months of work to complete. I first built a rack to set up the carcass with wires, and then it was frozen. Next I disarticulated it and made molds for the body, legs, tail and head. I also made molds for the ears, and mouth interior. Being there were two animals on this piece all that had to be done twice. 38 river rocks were molded and cast as well. A lot of time goes into these mounts at this level. Wheather you make it from scratch or alter a commercial form, but the competitor that dose make their own should be given credit for that. As I stated before it should not be a crap shoot where you have to worry about one rouge judge with an obvious problem. I will say it again! It MUST be brought to the COMPETITION CHAIRS attention and rectified when you have two judges well into the 90's and one in the low 80's. Yes I too used a lot of things from auto stores, retail stores and things that the good lord made, (insert sarcasm) but it was ME that pulled them all together with some of MY own techniques and some that others have passed on to me. There were many others in this years competition that put in the same hard work and sweat and were screwed over by one person. When you sign up to be a judge a great responsibility goes along with it. remember how you got there and give the next person the consideration you would want as well. SAFE GAURD THE COMPETION SO THIS DOES NOT HAPPEN AGAIN.

7. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    I know of one person that has probably sculptured hundred of deer forms and knows anatomy inside and out but yet lacks a World title. Can someone post some names of Regular Joe's who have made their own form and won a World title. I'm not talking about guys who produce for a supply company.

8. TIMBUCK

TIMBUCK Active Member

What about taxidermists who tan there own skins? I've tanned every skin I've ever competed with, probably 20, except one. A L/S lion.
    Should we get more credit for this. It's a important very important part of high quality taxidermy work and a lot of taxidermist don't know the first thing about tanning a skin. AT ALL.

9. I may have forgot to mention I tanned them as well. I tan all the skins for my full time business. 200 plus per year. To answer your question, yes you should be giver credit for that as well.

10. ,Joe Seigler- Birds, Jonnathon Wright-Birds, Terr Weick-Mixed group (Aligator Gar and Nutria, Rodney Schures Small Mammals- shipmunk, opossum, camelion. I am sure there are more. but these come to mind.

11. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I have to differ on that "tanning" crap. My contention is that tanning is much overrated in this industry. Some people actually make a living as professional tanners and for a taxidermist to "roll his own" is just a personal preference. I know some "award winning" guys who use DP and one guy who makes and markets forms uses "spray tan". Tanning is a technique, taxidermy is talent. The best tanned hide in the hands of a hack is still going to look like a POS and an artist with a DP hide is going to make a show piece.

12. And an Artist with a properly tanned skin will make a master piece.

13. taxidermyfreak

taxidermyfreak ***RIP DAD & JONNY***

Ok here goes lol I have never competed at a world competition... But in my opinion with people not getting a 2nd or 3rd??
    It's a competition right 1st through 3rd possible???
    I geuss I look at it like the Olympics a man or women that crosses the line 2nd if thier time is not as fast as the person that ran it 4 or 8 years ago do they not place no they still place 2nd and it's the best of the best in the world......
    And I do not agree with the everyone gets a trophy thing that is so popular in schools theys days!!!!!
    But this is not how I look at this as everyone "gets a trophy" you are competing against hundreds of people and thier is only 1st through 3rd .......
    I would say that those standards are held very high as well as they should be!!!!!
    But not giving a 2nd or 3rd because they don't add up to the years before or what they have seen over the years for a 2nd or 3rd I just don't agree with that....
    Sorry like I said I have never competed In the world only state but I can dream and hope and this is just my opinion and some will disagree and some may agree....
    Thanks for reading guys and gals

14. teal1

teal1 Active Member

If you have mounts in the masters division and can't find a 1thru 3rd at the show then why should we compete awards are ment for that show so give them out iam not saying give a pro division a world title but when you have 4or more mounts in the masters they are hight quality mounts to begin with when you don't give the awards out what are you baseing that o. You do a lot of harm to the show buy doing stuff like that and people will start to stay home and that what will be you down fall is the competitor's staying home the standard should be what's there at that time just like at the Olympics 123 are given out every time because its what's there if something is better and not there they don't not give the medal out so it should be the same at a taxidermy show or the people will stop showing up

15. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

Whether or not the entries match up to those from previous years isn't the main issue.
    It's whether or not they match up to what is expected of them, first, as determined by the score sheet and by how the judge weighs the different aspects that are included on the score sheet.
    I think that each judge probably has a slightly different interpretation about which areas are the most critical or the hardest to achieve, and (just guessing) that might be part of why the scores can vary so much.

Say, for instance, that correct use of paint is worth 5 points. On one small, hard to see part of the mount you find a .5mm wide paint splatter. You have to look for it, but it's clearly visible once you find it. As a judge, how much are you going to deduct? What if the splatter is not quite the right color? What if some of it got on the hair, feathers, or gills? There are also notations about overspray, cleanliness and naturalness of colored parts, and all of those have to be considered as well.
    Would the results of any previous years' competitions affect your decision?

And this is just the very beginning ... As George would say, this is the sheet music. This is the craft part of taxidermy.
    It's a given that a competitor has to get this first part right because it's the basic foundation of the craft that supports the art. This is where one single lost point can torpedo any chance at more than a ribbon.

Now the hard part begins.

Once a competitor has made a solid foundation (proper anatomy, color, sewing, etc, etc) it's what they build on or with it that can make them a winner.
    That's where the "wow" factor and artistic expression comes into play. Animals are very fluid in their shapes and movements and, since taxidermy only captures a single moment, there are literally thousands of possible poses to select, all of which are anatomically correct. They make different 3-dimensional shapes, and those shapes can be combined with their surroundings in infinite ways.

This is where the art part of taxidermy comes into play. It's no different than any other form of art in this regard since the rules of art are consistent as far as composition, balance, use of color and texture, etc, are concerned. Some judges might prefer a vertical composition over a horizontal one, for instance, but both are valid, as are many others. How well is it achieved? How solid is the foundation?
    And then ... (and THIS is where previous years' shows might matter) has this presentation ever been done before?

16. JessiJD

JessiJD New Member

Yeah.... You make a good point teal. But I dont think people will stop showing up. The people who are competing beyond the level of a state show will continue to go to the worlds to test thier abilities, not just for a ribbon or a plaque, but for the passion of producing something that is the culmination of years, possibly decades of intense thought, preparation, and execution. Hundreds and hundreds of hours of dedication to the art itself. I personally compete against the toughest competitor, ones own abilities. I push and test myself BEYOND what I think my capable limits actually are. If I succeed in completing my "vision" but make it to the show to be outdone by my peers, so be it. If I overcome my obstacles and hand in a piece that the judges completly butcher, then so be it.

The world show should be hard. And it is. No doubt. But when you have only three entries in a masters catagory, and say all three are so so pieces with average taxidermy skill, they should still be 1st, 2nd, 3rd in world just for being the best in that catagory?? Just because the awards are there to be given out?

17. JessiJD

JessiJD New Member

:::claps:::

Very very well put nancey. Bravo.

18. taxidermyfreak

taxidermyfreak ***RIP DAD & JONNY***

O come on so so skill or average in the master division ??
    Sorry I don't think that is true you don't get to that level bye doing so so or average taxidermy work....
    Again just my opinion

19. JessiJD

JessiJD New Member

You do realize that anyone at any point (from any skill level) can enter the masters level at the WTC, right?

There is no audition or prerequisites for competing for a world title.

If 20 novices want to enter masters game bird at worlds, and no others enter, should we just give the best novice a first second and third in world title because that's what we have to choose from?

Ok.

20. big dan

big dan Member

utah
    Hell yes! If nobody else stepped up to the plate to compete should you penalize the ones that did? They are the best in the world that competed that givin year. Give them their credit that is due.