1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Mink ears

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by kickstart59, May 17, 2015.

1. kickstart59

kickstart59 Member

When mounting an animal as small as mink or squirrels do you split the ears or inject preserve into them?

2. I just let them dry. Adjust while they dry.

3. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I split them.

4. Chupacabra84

Chupacabra84 New Member

Personally I don't split. I stuff bits of cotton deep into the cannals to help them hold shape while they dry, then pin, and very very gently adjust the pinnae (outter ear) with gloved fingers if they warp during drying.

e: Also reinforce the butts with clay or epoxy.

5. BrianHendricks

BrianHendricks Member

Opening them allows some type of liner to be used. I usually just use a little clay and flatten it to the thickness you want inside the ear skin. Then shape and card the edges for a nice crisp look.

6. tazzymoto

tazzymoto Well-Known Member

I do like Brian, Only I use sculpting epoxy

7. stuffenstuff

stuffenstuff Active Member

On mink and Small critters I also do as mentioned above, but I use clay with a T-pin pressed up agents the inner ear and form the ear around the clay, the clay can easily be remover after the ear has dried. But now after reading this, I'm thinking about using cotton first then epoxy with a t-pin for a softer looking ear..... ;D

8. Ditto, all these answers here.......................using denatured alcohol & then borax soak to mothproof works well also ( if not turning them at all etc. )

as for the preservation

& as to the ( mounting ) of the ears on many small game as these people have mentioned various ways......................

The epoxy as a liner is likely about the best way but you must squeeze it THIN so the ear doesn't look to thick ( for a competition piece etc.

The main reason ( likely ) for a liner is to have a stronger ear in the end , also one that will not curl or get damaged easily...............

Many times one is best NOT to turn them as many people cannot do it well enough & small holes get cut & they show in the end result, lol even after repaired.

Rabbit ears are one of the hardest to deal with............................

I have dried small ears & soaked them in various soluations in the past to try & strengthen them as well , using epoxies & glues, silicone etc. ?

Don't be afraid to experiment on extra ears to find NEW ideas ..............

Bono ( auto body filler ) is not a bad way to LINE small ears as well , I use this quite a bit ..............add a bit of fiber glass resin to the bondo before the hardener is mixed in & add a few small strands of chopped fibreglass or some small hair pieces cut up for body & stength to the mix.

Great Question here ! Best of luck & congrats for asking , this should help others as well !