1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

blue claw crab mounting ????

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by johnboyer, May 22, 2015.

1. johnboyer

johnboyer New Member

Hi all, I was wondering if there's a write up or if anyone can offer some suggestions on how to mount a blue clue crab , Thanks for the help .John

2. NOAH@aarrkk

[email protected] Active Member

GA
    Seems I remember George Roof posted a description of his process............do a search or scan through George's voluminous posts..............maybe someone else can be more specific. It could possibly in the tutorial section.

3. johnboyer

johnboyer New Member

Thanks NOAH I take a look for if . John

4. hodx

hodx Herman Darr

George has a good tutorial.....I mount them, by taking the shell off and cleaning them out and remove the large claws and cleaning them out

5. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I think JL does lobsters?

6. Kastaway

Kastaway Taxidermist, Pioneer of Freeze Drying 1969

http://www.kastaway.com/store/store_product_detail.cfm?Product_ID=179&Category_ID=1&Sub_Category_ID=12
    This is a link to a DVD covering skinning thru finishing if interested.

7. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,222970.0.html

There's a guy in Lewes (pronounced "LOU-is" for those outside Delaware) who cleans his crabs as well. He asked me to share my paint schedule and he really did a great job. He would drill a hole in each segment and fish out the meat. Then after drying, he'd seal the hole and paint. He was putting them in display cases and trying to market them to the dumb import vacationers. He called me and was lamenting that none of the shops would carry them because he was asking $250 for them. I laughed at him and told him that if I was a tourist, I wouldn't pay that kind of money for a damned crab either. You can buy pretty good pewter cast ones for $125.

8. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I've mounted a couple using George's method. They are fun in a way, and a pain in the rear in a way due to their brittleness once dry. Be sure you have an adequate support rod for the crab, because its legs are only for decoration, not support once mounted.

9. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

Yes Cecil I do lobsters but was never asked to do a crab. As far as treating the legs to survive the test of time I would do them like a lobster leg. Insert a support wire then inject them with common silicone from a tube. I drill a small hole at the bottom of the leg ( distal-posterior ) end and fill a 10cc syringe with the silicone and use that to fill the legs. Gently bend the legs in the position you want and let dry. The silicone fill will keep the legs from breaking. Good luck...JL

10. George

NO, I can see that on lobster and things like king and snow crabs, but the blue crab would get dicey.

11. hodx

hodx Herman Darr

that's the Leon Pray method...punching holes in every segment...

12. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

My apologies George. I forgot you did them.

13. George

LOL, No apology necessary Cecil. Lots of us guys along the crab grounds end up doing them. I try to price myself out of the business. They're not hard too do, but time consuming and painting them can be like painting a butterfly wing. You get all finished and just bump the SOB and break off a leg. I'm a klutz and they make me nervous.

14. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

George...I'm not talking about 16ga wire here. Try floral wire along with the silicone. You can use two wires for real support. Of course you can't be eating an Italian sandwich while doing this. JL ;D