1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Ladder stand or climbing sticks with hang-ons?

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by ElkinsTaxidermy, May 23, 2015.

1. ElkinsTaxidermy

ElkinsTaxidermy www.ronelkinstaxidermy.com

Just an informal 'poll', as to which you would prefer if you were paying for an outfitted hunt with pre-set stands? What is your preferred stand height? We are getting ready to outfit several hundred acres for bowhunting (primarily) in Morgan County, Ohio. This thread doesn't really fit the category, but I know there are some very experienced people on this site that go on outfitted/paid hunts. If it gets zapped, I'll understand. Thank you for your time in answering.

2. Kuzky3

Kuzky3 New Member

MN
    It would really depend on the land. Also take into consideration what clients you will be catering to. Some people have difficulty with hang ons with sticks.

3. A ladder stand is going to be safer for your clients. Plus you should have a lifeline set up at each stand. With the number of tree stand accidents that happen each year you want to be as safe as possible. Good luck with your venture.

4. tem

tem Well-Known Member

the younger guys can handle any of them. its the older ones that might feel safer in a latter stand.

5. Heath Cline

Heath Cline Well-Known Member

Ohio
    Ron, we use about 30-35 of each for our whitetail outfitting along with ground blinds and elevated box blinds.
    With having hunting clients, you have to be able to "cater" to all types of clients. And when you figure in bad weather, the blinds come into play to make sure hunters can still hunt in any type of weather. The blinds are also a must for our youth hunters.
    Our ladder stands are normally 20' stands and our hang on stands vary for each location.
    We are outfitting on about 12,000 acres right now and are working on adding some more land before the season gets here.
    If I can be any help to you, feel free to get ahold of me.

6. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

As a business in a litigious society, QUALITY ladder stands are imperative. I help a friend in his layout and we have "buddy stands". These give single hunters room th set gear and stretch out. Every stand has a permanent haul line and life line attached and harnesses are on the "equipment list".

7. ElkinsTaxidermy

ElkinsTaxidermy www.ronelkinstaxidermy.com

You have all given good responses. We have discussed the 'buddy' stands for that very reason, George. Bucknut, there will be lifelines at EVERY set----no doubt. Heath, I may call you about a few things. A****, we will try to have discussions as to what each client's needs are. We will do what it takes to make a good, safe experience for all. Keep the answers coming!! Thank you!

8. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    You whitetail hunters and your stands, I rather take an all day whooping then sit in a stand all day waiting for a deer to come by. Lol

9. Heath Cline

Heath Cline Well-Known Member

Ohio
    With the right management, food sources and the right scouting, you don't have to " sit in a stand all day waiting for a deer to come by" !!!

10. Brian W

Brian W Well-Known Member

Yes, I agree. Knowing your area inside and out, knowing the bedding and feeding areas and hunting smart, I never sit more than 2, 2 1/2 hours max at either morning or evening hunts. You can make deer come to you too if you know how..........I'd rather call my deer in than sit and just wait anyway......most of my record book bucks fell to a call. Btw, I don't use stands, just a homemade swing I climb up a tree with and tie in. I move a lot and permanent or even climber stands wont work near as well. Stick and move and don't let them pattern you. I can get in trees most guys can't or wont, putting me in the sweet spot.....

11. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Brian, I used to do that when I was your age. I realize now that old, fat men don't bounce well and harnesses can quickly cause embolisms so I had to modify. For a commercial venture your method would chill everyone except lawyers.

12. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

Ghillie suit and scent away. BF sightings will also increase.

13. Brian W

Brian W Well-Known Member

LOL.....your right George, I've never been on a paid hunt but I do know they wouldn't even allow the method I use......I never climb a tree I cant bear hug if I have to though......and once I'm at set height and tied in, you cant fall no matter what position you need to be in to get the shot off. I am facing the tree always and use the tree as cover advantageously........but there is an inherent danger in my method I will concede.......

14. tem

tem Well-Known Member

I don't care if I'm up high or down low. 2 hours or all day. I love being out in the woods.

15. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

When I was a teen I just climbed up and sat on a limb or stood in the crotch of a tree. Not doing that for sure if Im paying money.