1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Pathological Badger

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by akvz, May 23, 2015.

1. akvz

akvz New Member

Thought I'd share a badger for my personal collection. Seems to have had a major trauma to the lower jaw in life, took out a lot of the lower jaw including most of the teeth on the left side. There's also some damage to the upper palate on the same side and the remaining canine is barely in place. The one upper incisor isn't missing, just missing in the picture-- it's in degreasing still and I haven't had a chance to go out and dig through the remaining skulls to find it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. One word - OUCH.

Nice, but can't imagine it being so ''nice'' for the badger when he was still alive.

3. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Very cool find. I would guess probably a bullet. If it was just a simple break I think the pieces would still be there.

4. lokireptiles

lokireptiles Member

Pretty neat I am actually working on a very old badger with severe bone and tooth loss/ damage .... I have no idea how they survive with as much as they do..

These guys are tough critters!

5. akvz

akvz New Member

I expected bullet as well; I do not have any myself but I have seen it in coyotes where the lower jaw or other bones have grown back horribly after a shot failed to kill them. This is a big reason why I try to promote lung/heart shots and not face shots... a skull, especially a badger skull, is a pretty dense bone compared to ribs.

I also worked on a few old "lived-in" badger skulls recently:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I only have a few badger skulls to work on compared to some other species, but I think every badger skull I have worked with has had either worn teeth/old age or they had some sort of minor remodeling on the skull somewhere.