1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

mod-podge before or after painting

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Ittybit, May 25, 2015.

1. Ittybit

Ittybit Member

IL
    I have always retextured deer nose pads before I paint my deer. I attended a workshop on finish work where the instructor did the mod-podge after painting. I was wondering how many did the texture work before painting and how many after. What are the pros and cons?

2. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

I do it before painting and was taught that way. I'm curious to hear opinions as to why others would do it after painting. I'm not saying it's wrong; I'm just wondering.

3. big dan

big dan Member

utah
    I do it after painting. Just the way I was taught. It dries clear so I don't see why it matters either way.

4. Carls1

Carls1 New Member

I also put mine on after painting. I use the gloss mod-podge that gives a wet look after it dries. I then will thin some down with water and put a light layer over the entire nose. [​IMG][​IMG]

5. jkjohn

jkjohn New Member

Half the time mine drys and it's still white,I do it before painting now

6. rbear

rbear Well-Known Member

I do both. I paint the pad then use tinted mod-podge to finish it off.
    Ralph

7. tazzymoto

tazzymoto Well-Known Member

Ralph what color do you use to tint the modge podge?

8. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Try it both ways at the same time. When your mount is dry, paint the nose with Yox Black (I think it's called "gray" now). Then detail your nose. When it is dry, paint it completely with flesh and quickly wipe it off with a rag stretch over a block. That will wipe the pink off your detail but leave it down inside the nooks and crannies of your detailing. Then go back with black and shade in the values you want. When dry, mist it with clear to seal the paint and get the desired gloss you want.

9. Ittybit

Ittybit Member

IL
    thank you

10. davehyer

davehyer Active Member

On do it before painting. on my commercial mounts I spray with dusty pink pretty heavy and then I come back and angle spray with the dark nose color. The nodules protruding from the surface is what allows the angle spraying to hit the tops of the nodules and leave the sides near the bottom to show the dusty pink. If you put them on after it doesn't really help to add depth or realism in my opinion.

On my comp mounts I paint the base fleshy color first with oil paints, then I put on the mod podge. I then come back in with my air brush and opti visor and paint each individual nodule so I get the proper fading top to bottom on the nodules and from top to bottom on the nose pad itself.

11. rbear

rbear Well-Known Member

I use a dark brown. It looks more black then brown. With just a drop or two in the mod-podge it has a very translucent gray color to it. I do what George said first then put back the nodules with the tented mod-podge.
    Ralph

12. Matt

Matt Active Member

I do it after, it will really add some depth to your commercial nose

Attached Files: