1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Teeth articulation: wet sockets versus gluing

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by cobweb dweller, May 26, 2015.

1. cobweb dweller

cobweb dweller New Member

I recently heard that replacing teeth into wet sockets (wet skulls and jaws) can work just as well as gluing teeth into dry sockets (dry skulls and jaws). That, when fully dried, the teeth will fit as snugly as when using glue. Has anyone here had any experience with this..? Any thoughts to share..?

2. In any way, dip the teeth in sealant first, or they'll crack.

3. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

No. Many teeth will remain loose and fall out when dry. Some molars will go back in and not fall out when done that way but they will remain loose and rattle. They will not be as tight as when glued.

4. akvz

akvz New Member

I tend to glue when the skull is dry on the surface but still a little damp-- after sitting out under a fan for a few hours in the case of most small skulls (otter, cat, etc.) because I've noticed the molars/premolars on some animals will not fit correctly after the skull has completely dried for a week or two.

5. QBD

QBD Active Member

If they fall out or pull out easily, I keep them out throughout the entire process. I do not try to force them either way but the ones that pull easily, I put back in while the bone is still damp because they will be far more difficult if not impossible to get back in once the socket is dry. But as stated in an earlier post, they will still need some adhesive in almost all cases to keep them from being loose.

I usually dip my finished product in paraloid after drying and gluing everything to help prevent cracked teeth.