1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

MUST HAVES for my new studio

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by SeanSr30, May 27, 2015.

1. SeanSr30

SeanSr30 Member

I was wondering if someone could give me a list of MUST HAVES in my new studio besides the obvious air brush air compressor and a good table. Lol. I am also interested in things that I can get by with building myself if possible, I am very good with my hands and get a great deal of satisfaction building things myself. I'm trying to keep my cost and unnecessary overhead as low as possible until I get more experience and build a good clientel. Thanks and all opinions and advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. SeanSr30

SeanSr30 Member

one more thing!!!

Awhile back(meaning a couple years ago) I seen a book that I wanted to buy i cannot remember the name of it for the life of me. It was an older paperback book and it was basically a DIY manual on building your own taxidermy shop and what not. If anyone knows the name of this book and where I can find it would be very much appreciated.

3. rbear

rbear Well-Known Member

This will get you started.
    http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,34813.msg196807.html#msg196807
    Ralph

4. SeanSr30

SeanSr30 Member

Thank you Ralph. By the way I really like your blue prints. The layout is very nice and it seems to have a great flow. Best of luck with your new studio.

5. twinrivers

twinrivers Active Member

I have that book but am not at the shop. I think it is called the taxidermy shop manual. Think I got it through WASCO or van dykes. Gives shop layout and instructions on building tumblers, skinning boards, mounting stands, etc. Not a bad booklet.

6. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

http://www.amazon.com/Taxidermy-shop-Jerry-Schaefer/dp/0961492813/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1432818812&sr=8-1-fkmr2&keywords=how+to+start+and+operate+a+taxidermy+shop

I think this is the book (I wouldn't pay the price they want for it!) I bought a copy from WASCO years ago.

7. twinrivers

twinrivers Active Member

Yes, it is a little dated. If you have the time and aren't busy yet there are a few things that could be of use in there. Working a job and trying to stay somewhat caught up in my shop I usually just have a welder buddy of mine make what I need as far as mounting stands go.

8. SeanSr30

SeanSr30 Member

Thanks guys I appreciate it. That is a little pricey for the date of the book though huh haha. I totally understand the time thing as far as building it. I manage two huge hog farms so I stay pretty busy on top of trying to get my shop up and going. Hoping to be able to start taking deer heads in by October. A plus for me is that I have a big shop at the farm so if I do get a little extra time available I can go there and build and weld things that I need and what not. However with this book thing I think there is another one that I have in mind I priced it a year or two ago and it was on one of the larger companies websites as well I believe it had a grey or blue cover and it and they were only asking like $15-20 for it. Unfortunately I cannot remember the website that I seen it or the name of the book. What all have you guys built for your own shops? Anything that you think is a must to do for yourself?

9. I built my own table for my fleshing machine, built my own table for a counter-top model mounting stand, and built my own salting rack. The tiny 8x16 shed I work in came with 2 little countertops in it, so I use those as my skinning tables/work benches. I did get some linoleum flooring and covered the fleshing table with that to make it waterproof, but in the picture, it's built without the linoleum on yet (you can see the linoleum in the background of the salting rack picture).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]